Painting galvanized running boards

Recently bought a new set of running boards for my '53 Ford F100. Problem is these things appear to be made of galvanized steel, and I can't even get the primer to stick to the suckers. I thought sandblasting would help with the adhesion...and it did some, but it'ain't good. Has anyone had a similar situation or have some knowledge as how to prep this metal for the paint to adhere and stay!

Reply to
Blanker

The usual trick is to wipe it down with vinegar. It etches the surface ever so slightly.

Reply to
myford100

Sandblasting ruins the rust protection that the galvanizing provides. Seems to me they used to "pickle" the zinc finish with vinegar and then paint would stick. You can always try it on a piece of old furnace ductwork to be sure.

-- Regards Gordie

Reply to
The Nolalu Barn Owl

Another option is to have the running boards powdercoated with a primer coat. Not cheap unless you have your own equipment, but it works great. You can get the primer powder from

Chris

The proper way to do it is:

Go to an auto body supply store that sells PPG products in your area, get metal conditioner for galvanized metal.

The vinegar, though once the best fix, is dated and won't work well. Also get PPG Epoxy primer sealer in the color that closest resembles the color you're going to paint the vehicle. That shit sticks to anything, it will even stick bananas to icecream.

Refinish King

Reply to
Refinish King

Thanks all for the suggestions. I've used the vinegar treatment in the past on some galvanized square tubing, but I'm wasn't sure if maybe there was a better product for this. I've got some of DuPont's VariPrime self etching primer which I've been told should work well after the metal conditioner is applied. Anyone have a product name for the metal conditioner that will work with this? Guess they should know at the paint supply......thanks again!

Reply to
Blanker

I used to work as as tinsmith (roofing) if yopu want to paint galvanized steel you could use a solution of muriatic acid diluted with zinc.

To obtain the right solution of acid you put piece of zinc in the acid until some zinc dos not go away, it is then ok to put on the steel, after you rince with clear water .

Excuse my english I am french speaking

Reply to
Gaétan Girard

I seem to remember that the armed forces regularly paint over galvanized checkerplate without any problems at all. just my two cents worth.

Reply to
SnakeBite

I seem to remember that the armed forces regularly paint over galvanized checkerplate without any problems at all. just my two cents worth.

Reply to
SnakeBite

Rough up the surface and paint 'em flat black. It worked on our shop truck.

Vin - Menotomy Vintage Bicycles, Inc.

Menotomy

I hope they didn't sell you acid etch for under VariPrime- It's an either/or choice.

Reply to
Richard Taylor