Re: Aluminium primer - advise please

I have had conflicting advice which type of primer to use on

>aluminium and galvanise on the Land Rover. I don't want to go to all >the trouble of making a nice job, if after 6 months it all flakes off! >Can anybody give me the right advise? Great if you can. >Thanks, Mike.

acid etch primer is what i used,

mine was for the spray gun, it came as a two part primer, one tin the primer the other was the activator.

but im sure the correct primer is acid etch primer, maybe available in spraycans now.

andy

The Worlds Uncensored News Source

Reply to
Andy

For aluminium you need an etch primer. I get mine from Partco. It is a two part paint and I mix up a little in a jar and it keeps for months. I believe some two part primers have to be used straight away but I've had no problems with this one. I can't remember the actual make, but it was foreign.

As for a primer for galvanized steel, I wish I knew! I can't get anything to stick reliably to my garage door.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon

Can also be had as a one-part ready mixed in a tin. ISTR it was about £15 for a gallon tin. It goes on pretty thin - I've used a tin and a bit on the 101.

Get the panels VERY clean and grease free first though. I had a few patches that were still 'damp' days later. I can only imagine there was some Nitromors I had missed, or a bit of grease. A rub back and respray sorted it for me, but a lesson learnt!

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Have a look in a yacht chandlers at the International Paints selection. (This is different from the rubbish sold in DIY stores under the 'International' brand.) They have primers for all types of metal. Usually two pack. Quite expensive but it does the job. In all cases the aluminium must be cleaned off with an appropriate degreaser before application of the primer. International also supply this. If you think Land Rovers have a hard life, consider steel boats at sea and spend the extra on marine grade paints! Cheers, Peter

Reply to
Peter Caplen

On or around 31 Jul 2003 00:49:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@drytecltd.com (Gordon) enlightened us thusly:

this is true. other primers not so good. Personally, I've taken the panel I want etched to the local body shop for them to etch it, when they're next etching something.

why do you want to paint galv.? It's very difficult, especially on new galv. If it's several years old, you might do better.

the only truly reliable way to do it would be to remove the galvanised parts, burn off the zinc with an oxy-fuel torch (not in a confined space, it makes narsty fumes) and then clean the now-plain-steel parts, and prime and paint them in the normal manner. I daresay you don't want to go to that sort of trouble.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

T-Wash!!

And what's more, it is quite cheap. I think the last lot (for a galvanized polytunnel) was a fiver a gallon. Then your paint will stick.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Austin Shackles wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

It is a commercial etching solution for galvanized steel. I got mine from Norland Distribution, Inverness. Maybe they have an outlet near you? Otherwise try a commercial/wholesale paint supplier. Maybe even google it!

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

Many thanks to you all for you help on this topic. Much appreciated .. Now knowing a little info I have had a quick surf and found some useful info on this web site which maybe useful to others. Cheers, Mike.

High Flash Etch Primer for Metal - Two Pack CR523 Two pack pre-treatment primer for aluminium, galvanised metals etc. Ensures excellent long term adhesion on these difficult substrates for a wide variety of subsequent coatings. Yellow only.

From £37.78

Mordant Solution / T Wash Pre-treatment wash for galvanised metal which is vital to ensure the subsequent adhesion of a wide range of coatings. A colour change from grey to black is visual proof that the entire surface has been satisfactorily treated.

From £17.68 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Reply to
Mike

for aluminium use normal air drying etch primer and suitable thinners, this not

2 pack but you must be aware that very strong noxious fumes come off this paint and it also contains acid . . this is used for majority of bare metal including steel .

there is a preparation for galvanised steel, i cant remember the name but its a blue clear liquid you brush onto the galvanised parts , it goes black and you wash off with water, then paint over the top of this . is basically a stabiliser .

i buy mine commercially , etch primer is around £26 for 5 litres .

not sure where you are but i use BAILEY PAINTS , in thrupp, near stroud, glos . put it this way , they have the lot as far as paint goes .

M0bcg

On or around 02 Aug 2003 19:06:26 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (M0bcg) enlightened us thusly:

I'll have a look... want some decent exterior woodwork paint.

Reply to
Austin Shackles