Painting car with spray paint

I'm painting my car with spray paint, already bought all the cans. I picked up some Black Krylon Fusion paint, sticks at a molecular level so I thought that would work really nice for a car. IS there any prep I need to do and how do I make the coat shine when I finish the painting? Thanks in advance

Reply to
AoTiKo

Well, to stick at a 'molecular' level, it has to see 'good' molecules to stick to....

I would wash it good with a strong detergent to remove any wax and buff it with some 600 emery paper before painting. The paint will flake off a smooth or 'dirty' surface.

Mike

AoTiKo wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike has good advice. I've had a few shit cars that I gave "The Krylon Touch" and was really surprised at the quality of the job afterwards. PREP, PREP, PREP! Surface preperation is absolutely the critical process.

Once you start spraying, make sure you don't get carried away. *Many* light coats are better than soaking an area which will give you a blotchy look, not to mention all of the runs. Be patient and you will end up with a surprisingly nice looking paint job from a spray can!

-Steve

Reply to
Steve Reinis

If you want the paint to shine you will have to sand the car, all of it, then prime it and sand it again. Make sure the surface is not pitted or checked or any flaws showing. They will be magnified by the paint. Keep priming and wet sanding with progressively finer wet or dry until you get it finally sanded with 600. When the surface is smooth and I really mean smooth,go ahead and rattle can it but make sure you have good and adequate coverage. After the rattle can paint has dried you will be able to wet or dry with 1000 then rub it with polishing compound. This will give you a great finish. Anything less will give you a sorry paint job. I have just started painting mine and so far have done the hood. This is time consumng hard work but it is worth it. Timk11

Reply to
Tim Klopfenstein

They recommend vitamin 'E' to make a dogs cost shine, maybe that will work for you as well. ;)

mike hunt

AoTiKo wrote:

Reply to
MikeHunt2

Yes. To plastic. Is your car plastic?

Stephen Bigelow

The term is called "Rattle Spraying". :0)

The bad thing about rattle spraying is that it is very difficult to make the work even due to the limitation of the spray nozzle on the can. I use rattle spraying for small jobs like wheels, hub cabs and spot body work depending if the original color is workable.

Clean it real good by wiping it down with "Simple Green" to get off all oils and then fine sand it so the paint will stick.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Excellent advice. It almost makes me want to go and paint something except for the "time consuming hard work" part.

:0)

Reply to
Peter Parker

You think you have bought all the paint. You may well find out you are way short of paint. There's so much propellant in those cans and very little paint. Make sure you have a ready source of extra paint before starting and work in small sections to gauge your consumption. Please report back how it went.

Reply to
WasteNotWantNot

Reply to
The Bathtub Admiral