Possible sounds a bad timing chain tensioner can cause - 1995 Maxima SE

I'm trying to diagnose a problem I'm experiencing, which is a peculiar sound coming from the engine compartment. The sound is a whine, almost like a turbo sound, when the engine revs above 1,500 RPM (no matter if car is moving or standing still). It started very faintly about 4 months ago and is slowly getting louder over time.

I can definitely rule out the alternator, drive belt, and idle pulley, as the sound persisted with the drive belt disconnected.

If it is not the water pump, I'm thinking that perhaps it is something to do with the timing chain. The engine has 132,000 miles on it, very well cared for and not abused.

I highly doubt it is the chain itself, as these seldom wear out at this mileage. I'm guessing that it might be a chain tensioner or guide. When these parts begin to wear, what kind of sound could they make? Could it be the sound I described above? Or would these parts when worn only cause a rattling noise?

I do not trust the Nissan dealer service center that took my car for

*3* days to diagnose it and is now thinking it "might" be the water pump ($400 in labor) or else an internal engine exploration is needed ($1500 in labor). This is criminal. I'm hoping someone can say "ah yes, I know what that sound is--" and save me some $$.

Thanks for any advice!

Reply to
Greeneyed

Hi Jim, Thanks for your reply--I did post on Maxima.org (I've been a member there for a few years) but unfortunately, no one took a chance up at bat. The Nissan mechanic I talked to did what you mentioned, using a screwdriver to try isolating the problem. He really couldn't narrow it down. I figured being a weekend DIY mechanic of limited experience that I wouldn't have better luck. Based on the mileage, I did order the water pump and timing chain guide/tensioner kit. I've got explicit instructions on the task, so I'm thinking I should just do it myself and see if that changes things. If it doesn't, then... well, I can't imagine the timing chain is worn with such little mileage. The VQ30DE is such a reliable engine. To toss it up to replacing it with a rebuilt engine seems ridiculous, but the labor cost in troubleshooting it wouldn't be worth it. ~Gary

Reply to
Greeneyed

Hey there -

If you ran the engine without the drive belt doesn't that rule out the water pump too? I have a '93 so this is a real question. If the water pump was still turning that's my first bet that the bearing has started screaming, but once you are under there doing all that work check the plastic fairings under the car to make sure nothing is hitting the drive pulley. Often that sound is caused by something being sucked up into the accessory belts or the pulley or the plastic fairings having been cracked so make sure to check those things too.

Usually, a bad tensioner will cause a click/knock sound. Bad guides could sound like anything, but if you've decided to do it anyway then that's that. My bet is something with the accessories at the front of the engine.

All the best-

Howard

Water pump's driven by the timing chain on the newer Maximas.

Reply to
ronaldreagan