After-crash repair: Two problems (1993 Rover 820 Vitesse)

Hello, following some crash damage where a car ran into my driver's side front wing, i am trying to fix two problems.

First problem is: The ABS light now comes on as soon as i begin driving, just driving, slowly, for a few feet causes it to come back on, i've no idea why if it's the sensor or a pretensioner, any insights? I don't know if this affects this but when the crash happened the car cut off fuel and opened all the doors, i pressed the central locking release button under the bonnet afterwards which allowed me to start the car and move it away, anything more to do? Only yesterday the doors unlocked by themselves as i was driving along, but continued to drive just fine.

Second: Replaced the bent upper suspension arm & ball joint, shock absorber which was bent and leaking, checked the lower suspension arm with a new one but it isn't bent so left it on, but my steering wheel is way off centre, half a turn to the right when before it was dead-on centre. Had it tracked once, should i try again? Or is something buggered?

Thanks Paul

Reply to
Mr P A Latham

Why not scrap it... it is neither old, interesting or design classic, no one collects them and you could go and buy another from the auctions tomorrow for next to nothing..

No one cares about your ABS.

Reply to
Tattoo Face

Reply to
barcodes

In article , Mr P A Latham writes

This behaviour usually indicates a faulty sensor, or damaged wiring. It will also happen if there's a mis-match between the number of teeth on the sensor pick-up (though I don't know whether Rover changed that).

Are you sure it was a "central locking" release? AFAIK the fuel pump has its own inertia cut-out (which is under the bonnet) not connected to anything else.

When I wrote off my Passat (somebody drove into me from the right, damaging the driver's door, front wing, and suspension) it had the same problem. In my case it was because the steering arm on the strut was bent. It wasn't obvious, even when placed next to a new one, but it was enough to do horrible things to the car's handling.

BTW, getting the tracking done quite often won't fix steering offsets. The mechanics seem to think steering alignment is of no interest to anybody.

Reply to
Robert Pearce