Alluminium wiring.

The power losses in the distribution might be, but you wouldn't really want to take 3000HP (over 2.2 Megawatt) at 750V would you? What's that: about 3000 Amps?

Reply to
Chris Morriss

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Chris Morriss saying something like:

Cost, I suppose, and the knowledge that most models will be in the breakers within a decade, so long term reliability isn't an issue that will come back to haunt the makers.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Might be that at one time Lucas actually welded some connectors to the cable.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Good point, I'd forgotten that 'Lucar' 1/4" spade connectors were often welded to the cable. Can't do that if it's tinned I guess.

Reply to
Chris Morriss

Yes. That's about what the 4-REPs put out (8 x 348hp = 2784hp) so I guess a pair of 442s would be the same (the Bournemouth line is 850V).

3,000A isn't that spectacular for rail traction. You could be losing 1,000A in one section on a wet day.
Reply to
Richard Porter