Brake cylinder corrosion

I know this has been discussed before, but I remain puzzled. The 15-year rebuild of my Mk 1 Sprite is finished, except that the master cylinder has gone rusty - again! First of all I honed out the brake and clutch bores, assembled the unit, wrapped it up and stored it away in the house. When I assemble the system I found the bores had rusted in storage. So I honed it again. By this time I was nearly ready to roll so I reassembled and bled the system, which worked OK. Then there was a delay with the clutch, so the car didn't move for about a month, by which time the bores had rusted yet again. It's now beyond honing so I am having the bores sleeved with stainless steel - which of course I should have tried before. This is a very difficult job as there is so little material between the bores, but my engineer says it's in progress. It will cost nearly as much as a new unit, but won't go rusty again.

Having had a discussion on this NG and elsewhere about brake fluids, I am using DOT 4 not silicone, so I'm well aware of the hygroscopy problem. But why is this not a problem with other vehicles? My motorhome sits idle for months on end and the brakes are always perfect. Why is the Sprite plagued with this? This is not new - I was honing master cylinders 20 years ago. Why are the cylinders not chrome plated? This would solve the problem cheaply.

Reply to
Asolepius

Well this is all history as the sleeved cylinder is in the car and working perfectly. Now a thought occurs to me. Would anyone else like a sleeved cylinder on exchange? I think it could be done for a bit less than a new bog standard one, now that the methodology is worked out. Email me if interested.

Reply to
Asolepius