Brake Line Corrosion

The front brake lines on my 1994 F150 failed due to corrosion, as in rusting and the one line was preforated from pitting corrosion. The truck has

78,500 miles on it and we have mild mid-Atlantic winters. The truck is not driven much in snowy winter. The lines going to the rear drums look fine and have been checked by the dealer and a second shop. The fittings going into what appears to be brass blocks actually rusted and lines right at the fitting was rusted. Ford has not responded to my questions. Has anyone else experienced brake failure due to corrosion of the lines for the front disc brakes on the F series?
Reply to
hopeful

Newer stuff than 1994 is failing due to corrosion, it's not limited to Ford vehicles. I've replaced brake pipes on vehicles as new as 1999 with about the same mileage as yours.

I think you did pretty good, my bought new and rust proofed 1985 F-150 suffered rotted brake lines when it was a little over 5 years old.

Reply to
aarcuda69062

So, replace them! No big deal....less than $40 for both front lines. What do you expect from writing to Ford concerning your 12+yr old vehicle?

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

Yup, replaced them when I replaced the rotors. It's a good idea anyway just to get new rubber. When they fail, and collapse internally, your brakes will stick and run very hot.

Reply to
Victor V

One more thing.........while you're at it, I recommend you flush out that fluid. It's got water in it which destroys brake parts. Two big cans of Synthetic DOT 3. I used Prestone brand.

Reply to
Victor V

Brake fluid is Hydroscopic and absorbs water directly out of the air. So start with checking the brake fluid resevior and making sure the cap is sealing tightly on the resevior and not allowing air access to it.

Then condensation inside the brake lines can occur and put moisture in the brake system.

And finally, the flexible brake lines on most cars are of a rubber material. The rubber when under water can absorb water into the fluid.

So all of those are ways to get moisture into the brake system causing them to corrode from the inside out.

If this truck was not yours originally, I'd consider that maybe the chassis was under water for a short period of time. Or if you cross water with it or it was parked in deep snow, that could lead to the external corrosion.

Reply to
Mike H

I've seen several Ford trucks with rusted brake lines, but never in the front. I think the problem is very common, but your location is unusual.

Reply to
Joe

First off the rubber hoses were in pretty good shape for 78000 miles and 12 years. The interior of the blocks and the lines were in very good shape and showed no discoloration which is indicative of water in the fluid. The fittings and the metal tubing where it enters the fitting corroded, it rusted. If it was stainless steel it was off-spec because I have never seen stainless steel rust like iron. The metal line right at the fitting had holes with is typical of galvanic corrosion resulting in pitting. The pitting caused the failure. The rear lines look OK for a 12 years old vehicle not driven much in snow and the road salts.

Reply to
hopeful

Metal brakelines are not supposed to rust out. They are supposed to be formed from stainless steel or marine brass and should last as long as the engine. The rubber connector hose is a different story and oddly enough they looked fine.

Reply to
hopeful

I have never had a car that came from the factory with stainless steel brake lines and certainly never seen one with marine brass brake lines (and making brake lines from brass would not be a good idea - too great a chance of metal fatigue). Maybe some high end cars may have stainless brake lines, but stainless is hard to work with when you have to make bends and is subject to stress cracking. All of the brake lines I have actually touched are double wall low carbon steel with a zinc coating to prevent corrosion (other anti-corrosion coatings include zinc - aluminum, or copper). This sort of steel tubing is sometimes referred to as "Bundyweld" or "Bundy double wall" tubing (see

). Some European cars (Volvo and Audi for sure) use "Cunifer Alloy" (90-10 copper-nickel alloy) for the brake lines, but I have never personally touched one of these (see
). Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

I think your name should be OVERLY OPTIMISTIC considering your insane idea that Ford may want to pay for repairs to a 12 year old truck. Hopeful just doesn't do it.

PS I have never seen stainless or marine brass used in auto brake lines.

Reply to
Scott

SS/brass?? On what planet? U have a Ford pick-up, not a Space Shuttle.

Dave S(Texas)

Reply to
putt

On Fri, 03 Nov 2006 14:11:09 +0000, hopeful rearranged some electrons to form:

Most vehicles use plated steel for brake lines, not stainless. And, it can most certainly corrode.

Reply to
David M

Yeah, that came straight from dreamland. It would be nice if they'd use stainless, wouldn't it? It does crack sometimes if it's exposed to chlorides (which it would be), but I'd be willing to take a chance on it.

Reply to
Joe

Stainless costs too much for penny pinching detriot and they do not want it to last to long anyway and brass is too soft for this. A simlpe trick that I have used that works well is to spray the brake lines with gear oil in a old paint spray gun every fall and spring. I do not have "normal" failure of any metal brake lines. My 89 burbs lines still look almost like new. Another thing, rust is a galvanitc reaction of sorts with atmosphere and metal and when you rust proof the car, anything that is not rust proofed tends to be atacked worse because a difference of charge or potenail develops between car and air aggravatted by salt and rust proofing focuses the "discharge" of the potentail and the rust process that results to unprotected areas. Back in the 50 they used to put anode lead bars on some cars to control this process scientifically and that would sacrifice themselves while saving vehicle. You will not see that today because all that lead would not be environmental freindly. Also, brake fluid is glycol based and atracts moisutre so it can be attacked from both sides of pipe wall sometimes.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:24:44 +0000, SnoMan rearranged some electrons to form:

Spraying the outside with gear oil does nothing for the moisture that is INSIDE, trapped in the brake fluid which was absorbed from the atmosphere.

And, you need to bone up on your corrosion theory, what you said is completely incorrect. Galvanic reations can't occur unless there is an electrolyte to conduct current... air isn't an electrolyte.

Think--- salt water.

Lead is not a good anode to steel, but zinc is... what do you think "galvanized" steel is? It ain't coated with lead... In fact lead and steel are very close to each other in the galvanic series, so there would be no reaction nor protection.

Once again, your spewing proves to be wrong. As usual, someone taking your advice is putting their life at risk.

Reply to
David M

Actually I suspect you could make brake lines out of stainless steel tubing for about the same as for the bundyweld tubing. Stainless has a bad habit of developing stress/corrosion cracks which is a very bad thing in a brake line.

Lead would not work for this application. If any sort of "bars" were attached they would have been zinc. Lead bars would have increased the rate of corrosion. (see

)

And this is why bundyweld tubing is used.

Regards,

Ed White

- my automotive opinions
- my oil filter comparison