Broke a bolt in the worst place it seems

One of the bolts holding the oil pump. Wow, what an uncomfortable place to work in.

But I hope these left-handed drill bits(ie the 1/8th inch one is the only suitable one I bought) next weekend will do the trick.

I tired several other methods to no avail. That be some hard steel.

I shall never use a torque wrench as a regular one. 15 lbs/foot seems to be no more the bolts can take, even though the torque spec says 20.

Reply to
S1500

Not all bolts have the same specs - did you replace the bolts with the correct tensile strength before tightening them? Were they over tightened by to OP prior to you getting your hands on it?

They should be fairly easy to remove if you have just replaced it. you can tap it undone usually with a centre punch around the side.

Reply to
Rob

The over-torquing was entirely my fault. I was a little too persistent in tightening. The bolts in question were the bolts that came with the car, to my knowledge. They looked old enough.

I have my backwards drill bits ready. Just need time off of work to do it. 1/8th inch is the smallest I could get.

Reply to
S1500

suitable one I bought)

Does the OP mean a stud extractor? If not, I don't understand the point of a LH drill?

Regards,

Paul.

Reply to
callmepaul

Using a left handed drill to drill into the stud means that you are putting pressure on the bolt to undo, rather than forcing it further in, quite often a broken stud will come out just by using a left handed bit (in reverse on the drill, of course!) Often it starts to turn as the drill breaks through the other end of the broken bit. Even if you have to use a stud extractor subsequently you have lost nothing and possibly gained a lot by using a left handed bit.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

suitable one I bought)

I understand your point with the being an extractor or a LH drill.

A LH drill does work sometimes as you drill into it when it catches may extract the broken bit. LH drills are not that easy to find though.

Reply to
Rob

Any drill with the word "reversible" on the packaging will do. I bought this "TOOL SHOP" brand drill for 18 bucks and it's reversible. Funny, it's shaped exactly like the drill sold next to it, but for slightly more than half the price(just not name brand)

As for the bits, I found a few more at Menards. The extractor bits look like wood screws, but of course, are going the other way. This is gonna be fun.

Just have to grind down nicely the bolt to flush with surface.

Reply to
S1500

If the bolt is proud of the surface then grip it with a stud extractor, or mole grips or weld a nut on it.

LH drill bits are sold by snap=on.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I think you missed what was implied. When talking about the LH drill its actually a LH drill bit. Not the machine.

Should be able to grip that or turn it by a small chisel or centre punch, The bolt, unless its been broken by tightening it into the bottom of the hole (bolt too long) should come out easily without using an easyout extractor, thats the second option.

Reply to
Rob