Classic-compatible speakers

Can anyone suggest a supplier of shelf-mounted classic looking speakers? I need a pair for the DS, to replace a pair on the rear parcel shelf - cutting holes in it isn't an option. Lots of places seem to do speakers, but I haven't found any shelf mounted ones anywhere.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

I vaguely seem to remember that one could get speakers to shove underneath the seats so there was no reason to drill holes in the parcel shelf. No idea about the sound quality, though.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The current ones are a pair of pod-style on top of the shelf? They do seem to be scarce now.

What are you like at woodwork? Your best bet might be to build a false shelf or pods of some kind from MDF to house a pair of normal speakers. If done nicely, it could look good. If I were to do it, though, it would look awful.

Hiding something in the C-pillar trims or in some kind of a false headlining might also be an option, without cutting anything trims.

You could also think laterally - cut the shelf, sink speakers in, then recover the shelf in a material that won't interfere with the sound. Done well, it'd be invisible.

Reply to
Adrian

Timo Geusch ( snipped-for-privacy@unixconsult.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Small problem on a D - the petrol tank is under there...

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Surely not under the front seats?

From what I remember they're speakers in pretty flat enclosures so you can put them underneath the front seats.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Get a set of mini-monitor speakers and secure them to the rear shelf. A mate once did something similar in a Metro - only he cut holes in the shelf and mounted them on the underside. Worked well and sounded good.

Reply to
SteveH

: I vaguely seem to remember that one could get speakers to shove : underneath the seats so there was no reason to drill holes in the : parcel shelf. No idea about the sound quality, though.

I already have smallish but ugly holes in the rear parcel shelf where I remove the old, knackered speakers ... I don't want to mutilate the old dear further, but I would like to put new speakers there, hence looking for shelf mountings.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Why not try to find some decent speakers that would fit those holes?

Reply to
Timo Geusch

: Ian Johnston was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever: : > On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:23:55 UTC, Timo Geusch

: >: I vaguely seem to remember that one could get speakers to shove : >: underneath the seats so there was no reason to drill holes in the : >: parcel shelf. No idea about the sound quality, though. : >

: > I already have smallish but ugly holes in the rear parcel shelf where : > I remove the old, knackered speakers ... I don't want to mutilate the : > old dear further, but I would like to put new speakers there, hence : > looking for shelf mountings. : : Why not try to find some decent speakers that would fit those holes?

Sorry, I haven't been clear. The existing holes are mounting holes, and a coupleof cuts - around 5" long - in the vinyl: the previous speakers were shelf mounted.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

Ah OK. Probably comes from posting to early in the day...

In this case I'd go down to some decent car audio place and have them recommend shelf-mount speakers that are roughly the same size. If the holes don't line up - which of course they won't - you might be able to make a wooden 'adapter plate' pre-drilled to fit the original holes.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo Geusch ( snipped-for-privacy@unixconsult.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Ah, er, no...

Reply to
Adrian

Anyone recommend small (4"?) full range speakers these days with good sensitivity? Most are now designed to be part of a multi-speaker set up so have poor bass response, and aren't much good for replacing speakers in older cars with the original low power amp.

Philips used to do a cracking unit suitable for this that R-R fitted.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

How about these from Radio Spares?

8 ohm stock number 463-5824 4 ohm stock number 463-5818

Nominal Impedance 4 ohm and 8 ohm Nominal power 20W Peak power 30W SPL @ 1W/1m 86dB Frequency range 80Hz to 22kHz Resonant frequency 120Hz Max cone displacement 4mm Voice coil diameter 14mm Magnetic induction 1·1 Tesla Magnetic flux 100u Weber

Reply to
Ian Edwards

Trouble is the sensitivity is dreadful. I'd be looking at something nearer

100dB @ 1W/m to give adequate levels from the 'standard' 4 watts or so that old radios had.
Reply to
Dave Plowman

Might be worth contacting KEF. They used to (and maybe still do) a range of drive units which were specifically designed to be flush-fitted, usually into ceilings or cavity walls. No idea about sensitivity, though.

It's not that easy to get decent bass from such a small unit - unless you can make sure that the area behind the speaker is very large which may well be possible in a car - the boot etc could become part of a very large infinite baffle box.

Jordan Watts do a range of extremely small metal coned drivers, but from my recollection they would take a power station to drive them. Worth a look on Google for both the above manufacturers.

I believe there is also a whole new generation of flat panel speakers which can appear to be pictures hung on the wall, so presumably could double as a parcel shelf. You'd need a good hi-fi dealer (not Dixons or the local car headbangers) to advise.

Sorry I can't be more specific - I used to be very much into sound systems (albeit domestic) but lost interest about ten years ago when the curves of increasing true fidelity on the way up crossed with loss of hearing (natural ageing plus years of noisy aircraft headsets) on the way down. So I'm a bit out of touch.

Geoff MacK.

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie