Boot space - Disco 1 -v- RR Classic?

OK, seeing as I'm now without a 110 (see previous post) I've been wondering about a Disco 1 or a RR Classic. Which has the biggest boot space as I just can't find dimensions anywhere?

G.

Reply to
Embo

About the same I would say, my late Classic *is* a Disco with different skin.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

stuff the space, its the practicality of the opener arrangements!

Whilst the disco is handy cos of the height, the fact that to transport anything overlong you have to have the whole door open, at an odd angle, thus obscuring numberplate etc, is a pain in the backside - in fact I wish i'd gone rangie again after my RRC was burned out, cos witht the top tailgate open you have lots more options.

The only thing that I didn't like about my RRC was the rear passenger space, but would go for an LSE if I were looking to replace as they have those extra inches

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

The down-side of the Rangie arrangement is that for normal loading (i.e. not over-long items) you have to lift stuff in over the lowered tailgate. You

*can* place and slide, but I've always found that the thing that won't slide or catches on the gap somehow is the thing that's heaviest or most awkward to manoeuver (which you're then trying to do at arms length of course). Personally I prefer the Disco arrangement.

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Also, would you trust the tailgate if you were trying to put something heavy in there, like 300Kgs of engine, would the tailgate hold it while you slid the load forward across it?

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I got 60 sq yds of turf into the back of my rangie no probs over the tailgate (thank god plod didnt see it)

Wouldn't like to try that in the disco

Si

Reply to
GrnOval

Was it quite spread out though? I was more worried about the tailgate giving way when a heavy load was pushed up onto it being held by little else.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

There is absolutely (provided that the body rear crossmember is intact) no problem in putting large weights on the lowered tailgate. It'll take engines easily. You might want to use something to spread the load if you wish to avoid point contact damage to the skin.

I presume that you do/did have the upper support 'straps' installed. Without them there is a problem.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around 10 Nov 2006 15:41:12 -0800, "Embo" enlightened us thusly:

disco, I'd say. taller, anyway. it might be tad shorter.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have neither on my Defender, just sticking my oar in while waking up this morning!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

I always seem to be agreeing with Austin yep RRC more space between back of seat and the door ( plus door pocket) but much more height in the Disco the sloping rear window in the RRC makes a difference an'all if you are loading boxes . and I get the impression when the back seats are folded forward there is more gained in the RRC no figures but when filled with dogs the back of a Disco seems more crowded- might be imagining it cos the b*ggers do move about a lot. Derek

Reply to
Derek

You could park the fork lift truck on a RRC tailgate too with the engine... no concerns there.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Derek uttered summat worrerz funny about:

BUT the Disco doesn't have a spare wheel hogging a shed load of space. I prefer Disco for general pootling and RRC for DIY-aholic...... put it this way... if you can't get that extra long thing home then you don't have to fit it ;-)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Well said Lee, I was just about to add the comment re. the spare.... Just to chuck another log on the fire, what about DiscoII? All the advantages previously mentioned re. flatter rear, taller etc, but also around 4 or 5" longer boot than D1 as well....... just a thought. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Ah - you might just have saved me chasing around with a tape measure.

RRC may soon have to go and Disco II is the reluctant favourite at the moment. But I will miss the horizontally split tailgate.

3 door RRC had a good half-a-jerry-can-thickness deeper/longer space than the 5 door and my visual impression of the Disco I was that it was even shorter than the 5 door.

Might I be able to get back to a lenthwise fish box plus sideways jerry can with the Disco II? (You're unlikely to have enough information to answer that - so don't bother!)

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Sat, 11 Nov 2006 16:26:31 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Still not really cheap though. Later disco Is are the best bet for buying, I reckon - I looked into disco IIs, when we were considering buying a newer one, and the only ones you could really describe as "cheap" were early ones with interplanetary mileage. For less money you could get a last-of-the line mint disco 1 with minimum mileage, and you probably still can.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Fair comment re. the late series 1's Austin, especially when you look at the general condition of some of the Jap import stuff, however there are good deals on DiscoII's to be had if you look hard enough. A friend of mine phoned me from Central Scotland the other day, he was looking at an 02 plate DII TD5 ES Auto with all the goodies. About 70k miles, asking price was £10,200. Now, a TD5 - especially an auto version - isn't exactly my personal cup of tea (deficient to the tune of 8 spark plugs for a start!), but that seems to me to be a pretty fair price, and the mileage isn't exactly "millenium falcon" either. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Sat, 11 Nov 2006 18:18:55 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

nor mine, TBH.

But 10K is about 5 tiomes what I spend on motors. You can get a reasonable disco I for 2K, and even the best of 'em rarely make even 5K - it'd have to be a minter with sub40K on the clock, and a late one at that.

The chap whose 110 has just been nicked is talking about getting 4K from the insewerants, which ain't gonna buy a disco II.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On 10 Nov 2006 15:41:12 -0800, "Embo" scribbled the following nonsense:

rangie has the biggest, we could inflate our double airbed in the back the rangie with the seats folded and the tailgate closed, cant in the disco....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Wow, thanks for all the comments, although I'm still slightly on the fence as to which to go for!

I guess I'll have to look around and find the best vehicle rather than choosing at the outset as from what I can gather reliability (or opportunities to get to know your landy) are about the same on both vehicles, and probably no worse than my (ex) 110!

Cheers,

G.

Reply to
Embo