Front door speakers in a 69 Fastback. Max depth ?

I'm going to put a carpeted speaker board in place of the trap door,but i also want to put speakers in the doors,because i think its the only place that i can put speakers in the front of the car,unless anyone can suggest other locations where they would not get in the way too much ?

Whats the maximum depth of speaker i could get in there ? The bigger diameter the speaker,usually the deeper the magnet is too.Where in the door would be best to locate them from your experience ?

Andrew

Reply to
me

Try the kick panel conversions. You can buy them from the major mustang shops. They replace the standard kick panels with ones that have speakers mounted in them. They're simple and easy to replace, plus you don't end up hacking a door up to put speakers in them.

go to

and check them out. If they don't have it listed, then call them and they should be able to tell you.

The stock position is the lower front corner, just like on all cars I've ever seen. If your car didn't come with them originally, I'd not cut into the door, just get the kick panel speakers. Besides you'll get better imaging from the speakers being farther forward. The wave paths are more equidistant making a better stereo *image*.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Hmm,I looked but they dont have 69 listed.Do they come with speakers already inside? What if they are not rated high enough for the power i want to use,can they be swapped out for different speakers in the panel ?

I checked Caifornia Mustang and they only have them upto 1968,so do they make them for the 69 ?

Also,as far as i can remember(because i dont have my car here right now)the only panels in the "kick" area are the vent panels,so where would the speaker panels fit ? Just trying to get a picture of where they go exactly

Andrew

Try the kick panel conversions. You can buy them from the major mustang shops. They replace the standard kick panels with ones that have speakers mounted in them. They're simple and easy to replace, plus you don't end up hacking a door up to put speakers in them.

go to

and check them out. If they don't have it listed, then call them and they should be able to tell you.

The stock position is the lower front corner, just like on all cars I've ever seen. If your car didn't come with them originally, I'd not cut into the door, just get the kick panel speakers. Besides you'll get better imaging from the speakers being farther forward. The wave paths are more equidistant making a better stereo *image*.

-- Scott W. '66 Mustang HCS '68 Ranchero 500

Reply to
me

You can get them with or without speakers in them. Just put in the ones you want.

California Mustang isn't the only supplier out there. Maybe the kickpanels for '69-70 are different than the earlier ones. It's been YEARS since I owned a '70, so I can't remember. If the vent is in the side on the kickpanel instead of the bottom of the dash, then the doors will be the only option for front speakers. What you could do then is use the grilles from '68. It wouldn't technically be correct, but not many would know any better and would keep it looking factory.

Regarding clearance behind the door panel, You'd have to just wait until after cutting the hole and measuring what space you have. Make sure you measure with the window up and down and through the entire range of motion to make sure you have clearance the entire time.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

'69's have vents in the kick panels thus rendering the speaker idea moot. Does your car have a deluxe interior or is it steel at the bottom. Personally,I would not cut up the deluxe panels but if it is steel then you could cut the holes and theecould be covered if you ever get deluxe panels. If I had deluxe I'd use a newer double speaker setup on the dash. As for back space, I don't have the info. Pull the door panel roll the window down and measure the clearance. Origianl speakers would have puny magnets so it would behoove you to check the fit on your doors.

Here is what the originals would have looked like. StuK

Reply to
Stuart&Janet

Yeah the panels are the regular ones,not deluxe.And you're right about the kick panels,they have the slatted vent in them.I suppose i could use that hole for speakers,but like you said,the vents would become useless,not that i ever get anything other than hot air through there anyway.

I was also thinking about the double speaker to put in the dash in place of the original one,not much power handling capability,they go up to 60 watt i believe,but better than nothing i suppose. There may be something i could do like fabricate some kind of small enclosure,put the speaker in,and attache it in the footwell somewhere,as long as it is off to one side,it may be an option.

I think i will look at the door clearance depth first,and then go from there.The door panels are just repros anyway,so even if i had to cut a hole through them,no big deal.

I want to try and avoid cutting holes in the actual door metal,maybe i could utilise the big holes that are already in the door,and if the clearance is not enough,I could try to find a spacer which makes the speaker sit further out from the door,so the window glass would clear the magnet.It would be sticking out a bit more than usual,but it wouldnt really be in the way.

Andrew

Here is what the originals would have looked like. StuK

Reply to
me

"me" wrote

There's not enough space between the double speakers to make any appreciable rise in the quality of sound, at least in stereo imaging. Maybe in frequency response. I'd just go with a larger dvc speaker to maximize the frequency response and do speakers in the doors.

Custom door pods are expensive for someone else to do, but I did a set myself in fiberglass that blended with the original door panel on an Avenger. I covered the whole bottom of the door in black vinyl to cover where the pod blended with the original panel. It looked great and sounded even better. You just have to make sure that it's all sealed well to keep the sound quality up.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

appreciable

Yeah i thought that they would be too close,but that would be a last option i think. And did you mean just use one speaker in the dash instead of the double one ? BTW,what is dvc ?

Andrew

Reply to
me

"me" wrote

Yes, I'd use one larger speaker. All things being the same, you can get more bass response out of a speaker with more surface area. DVC means "dual voice coil". It lets you run stereo signal to one driver and still keep those signals separate for the remaining speakers. It's used alot for cars that don't have great staging. You have left and right, but you have a center that runs both channels, kinda like early early Dolby Surround.

Reply to
66 6F HCS

Here's what you do:

  1. Get some matching vinyl fabric from the manufacturer of your door panels or your seat covers.

  1. Get some 1" thick high density fiber board from a car stereo shop.

  2. Make a build-out with the particle board, to be attached to the lower front corners of your doors. Counture it to match the corners of the doors and bevel the edges 45 degrees on the top and rear edges to make it blend in. Cut a hole in it the size of your speaker. Cover it with the fabric. Cut a hole into your door panel and into the door itself for additional clearance. Screw the build-out to the door panel.

Don't even mess with the dash-top speaker.

You'll get fine imaging with this setup. This is a '69 Ford, not a '05 Mercedes. Ambient noise is so great you don't need to get anal about imaging.

There's another solution for improved imaging, and that's a 2-piece speaker setup. Mount the tweeters to the dash or the A-pillar. Or mount them in the upper front corners of the door panels, although this would require another build-out.

180 Out TS 28
Reply to
180 Out

Man, I just bought a '69 Sportsroof last Friday, and now that I'm looking, there is NOWHERE to put speakers EXCEPT in the doors. What a PITA this is gonna be. Now that I own one, I can see the problem of getting good tunes. It was easier in the pre '69's because of the vent placement and being able to use the kick panels. I gotta lotta thinking to do to try and figure out how to make this work and sound good too. I think custom door pods are the ticket though.

Reply to
66 6F HCS