Classic UK nUmber Plates

I hope soemone can clear this one up.

I thought old style UK numberplates - silver on black - were only legal on vehciles up to about 1972. The other day while visiting London I saw a red bus - not a routemaster - with silver on black plates and it was "C" reg -

1985/6.

Does anyone know what the age limit is?

Cheers

JD

Reply to
John Daniels

John Daniels ( snipped-for-privacy@minerva45.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Yep, it's 72ish. London Transport never seemed to worry about that sort of minor detail, and the companies that run 'em now don't seem to either.

Reply to
Adrian

In message , on Sat, 18 Oct 2003, John Daniels writes

Manufactured before 1/1/73

Was it a C prefix (1985) or a C suffix (1964)?

Reply to
Philip Stokes
1985 - that's what made me wonder.

Strange that a big organisation would flout the rules like that. All you need is a copper who needs a few bookings and I'm sure he'd have a field day down the local bus depot.

Busses get MOTd and other checks I'm sure - you'd think it'd be picked up.

I would like them on my modern 2001 car they would look very clasy I think.

Reply to
John Daniels

John Daniels ( snipped-for-privacy@minerva45.freeserve.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Not really - the MOTs will be done inhouse, but I've had cars with french- style plates (definitely not "straight") get through tickets here with no problem.

No, they wouldn't. They'd almost certainly look awful. Saw a black XKR convertible the other day with silver-on-black plates. Just looked tacky.

Reply to
Adrian

"Philip Stokes" wrote

Which means you're ok with an L-reg but pushing it a bit with anything later.

Reply to
The Blue Max

There's no age limit for the plate colour on a (public) Bus.

Reply to
Howard Rose

Saw a Sierra with black tint taillights and a silver on black plate (transferred number with D postfix) on the M1 last year. We both went past a jam sandwich, it took about 1 mile before he was pulled. Like a red rag to a bull!

Peter Hill

I'm fairly certain the old LT had some form of exemption. Possibly because their buses always run on lit roads and also carry other identification.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

They look good on my 1971 Beetle, esp. now that it's been sprayed black and de-chromed. ;o)

-- athomik

Reply to
athomik