Reg plate replacement

What is the procedure now? I need replacement as front plate is cracked.

Reply to
johannes

Same as it's been for the last thirteen years.

The only way to buy one legally is to use a registered supplier, and to provide proof of entitlement (V5C, usually) and proof of your ID.

There may be other, less legal, ways. But you can find those on eBay yourself, I'm sure.

Reply to
Adrian

Well I haven't used this service in the last 100 years. Any recommended registered supplier, apart from Halfrauds?

Plate seems to be glued to front bumper. How can I get old plate off without damaging bumper?

Reply to
johannes

thin bladed scraper or pass a thin wire behind the plate

Reply to
Mrcheerful

Ah ok, nice one thnks

Reply to
johannes

Any BUT Halfraurds...

Any half-decent local motor factor/car parts shop will be able to do 'em while-you-wait.

It'll be on stickypads. Just give it a good wiggle-tug.

Reply to
Adrian

I used a well reviewed ebay seller - about £10 pair delivered, IIRC, complete with all fittings, caps etc. Of course, these were technically 'for off-road display purposes only'. It's between you and your conscience whether you use them on a road car, or not.

Reply to
RJH
[...]

Same way you get stuck-on badges, trim etc off; nylon fishing line in a loop around the item, then pull the loop tighter.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

I see no conscience problem if it's just replacing like-for-like, i.e. like you could do in them olden days..

Reply to
johannes

Fancyplates.com - delivered in a couple of days, cheap, legal, no paperwork required and no hanging around Halfords for 2 hours. (That's how long Halfords took last time I used them.)

Reply to
Eiron

I just purchased one from Ebay - no problems. No proof of car ownership required but only delivered to your registered Ebay/paypal snail mail address.

Reply to
alan_m

Mutually exclusive.

Reply to
Adrian

In contrast, when I ordered an ignition cassette from an ebay trader, I was asked to provide a scan of V5C .

Reply to
johannes

To which the only correct answer is "Thanks, I'll buy elsewhere."

Reply to
Adrian

Barring price, condition (new) and availability. It was one of those who advertise "Buy it new" on ebay, but otherwise have an established shop & website. I surmised it was to do with ensuring that I was the rightful owner of the car... Wonder why?

Reply to
johannes

Christ knows. I've never EVER been asked to "prove" I own the car when buying parts. There is no legit reason AT ALL.

Plates are a different kettle of fish, and anybody who would prefer their car not be cloned would actually want plate supply to be tightened if they thought about it for a minute or two. There's a strong argument in favour of official centralised supply, as in so many other countries.

Reply to
Adrian

And that's why there is no car crime in those countries.

Someone will always be able to provide a dodgy plate. Alternatively, if you want a illegal plate on your car just nick one from another car.

Imposing more restrictions just means things get more expensive - it does nothing for reducing crime. How many millions are currently driving cars without tax/insurance?

Reply to
alan_m

Care to point me to where I made any such suggestion?

Now :- First you know somebody else is using your plates is when you get somebody else's speeding/parking tickets through. And you have to prove it wasn't you.

Official plate supply: First you know somebody else is using your plates is when you find them physically missing...

Three guesses which is easier to deal with.

Reply to
Adrian

And when someone bypasses the official supply the first you know is when you get somebody else's speeding/parking ticket - no change.

Do you really believe the criminal classes would bother with an official plate supplier when they are so easy to make? Even with the current legislation how many illegal plates can you spot on an average journey - incorrect font, incorrect spacing, incorrect size, number or letters altered to make a name etc.

All that happens with a restricted supplier is that the cost goes up and it gets more inconvenient for the average man in the street.

Reply to
alan_m

And that's precisely the point. The official supply would not be easy to bypass. The current one is. It's neither fish nor fowl.

Precisely.

Nope. All that happens is plates is plates. And they're all legit.

TAMIS buys a plate VERY rarely, if ever. He gets a shiny pair on his new car, and they filter down all the way to when it heads off to the scrappy

- unless one gets broken, in which case it's a rounding error in the MOT/ service/collision repair bill.

Reply to
Adrian