Reg plate replacement

What is the procedure now? I need replacement as front plate is cracked.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 10:47:51 +0100, johannes wrote:

Same as it's been for the last thirteen years.
The only way to buy one legally is to use a registered supplier, and to provide proof of entitlement (V5C, usually) and proof of your ID.
There may be other, less legal, ways. But you can find those on eBay yourself, I'm sure.
On 24/08/2014 10:51, Adrian wrote:

Well I haven't used this service in the last 100 years. Any recommended registered supplier, apart from Halfrauds?
Plate seems to be glued to front bumper. How can I get old plate off without damaging bumper?
On 24/08/2014 11:39, johannes wrote:

thin bladed scraper or pass a thin wire behind the plate
On 24/08/2014 11:43, Mrcheerful wrote:

Ah ok, nice one thnks
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:39:12 +0100, johannes wrote:

Any BUT Halfraurds...
Any half-decent local motor factor/car parts shop will be able to do 'em while-you-wait.

It'll be on stickypads. Just give it a good wiggle-tug.
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 11:39:12 +0100, johannes wrote:
[...]

Same way you get stuck-on badges, trim etc off; nylon fishing line in a loop around the item, then pull the loop tighter.
Chris
--
Remove prejudice to reply.

On 24/08/2014 10:51, Adrian wrote:

Fancyplates.com - delivered in a couple of days, cheap, legal, no paperwork required and no hanging around Halfords for 2 hours. (That's how long Halfords took last time I used them.)
--
Eiron.

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:06:34 +0100, Eiron wrote:

Mutually exclusive.
On 24/08/2014 10:51, Adrian wrote:

I just purchased one from Ebay - no problems. No proof of car ownership required but only delivered to your registered Ebay/paypal snail mail address.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On 24/08/2014 16:12, alan_m wrote:

In contrast, when I ordered an ignition cassette from an ebay trader, I was asked to provide a scan of V5C .
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 16:59:36 +0100, johannes wrote:

To which the only correct answer is "Thanks, I'll buy elsewhere."
On 24/08/2014 19:04, Adrian wrote:

Barring price, condition (new) and availability. It was one of those who advertise "Buy it new" on ebay, but otherwise have an established shop & website. I surmised it was to do with ensuring that I was the rightful owner of the car... Wonder why?
On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 19:42:05 +0100, johannes wrote:

Christ knows. I've never EVER been asked to "prove" I own the car when buying parts. There is no legit reason AT ALL.
Plates are a different kettle of fish, and anybody who would prefer their car not be cloned would actually want plate supply to be tightened if they thought about it for a minute or two. There's a strong argument in favour of official centralised supply, as in so many other countries.
On 24/08/2014 20:00, Adrian wrote:

And that's why there is no car crime in those countries.
Someone will always be able to provide a dodgy plate. Alternatively, if you want a illegal plate on your car just nick one from another car.
Imposing more restrictions just means things get more expensive - it does nothing for reducing crime. How many millions are currently driving cars without tax/insurance?
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:12:11 +0100, alan_m wrote:

Care to point me to where I made any such suggestion?

Now :- First you know somebody else is using your plates is when you get somebody else's speeding/parking tickets through. And you have to prove it wasn't you.
Official plate supply: First you know somebody else is using your plates is when you find them physically missing...
Three guesses which is easier to deal with.
On 24/08/2014 20:16, Adrian wrote:

And when someone bypasses the official supply the first you know is when you get somebody else's speeding/parking ticket - no change.

Do you really believe the criminal classes would bother with an official plate supplier when they are so easy to make? Even with the current legislation how many illegal plates can you spot on an average journey - incorrect font, incorrect spacing, incorrect size, number or letters altered to make a name etc.
All that happens with a restricted supplier is that the cost goes up and it gets more inconvenient for the average man in the street.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk

On Sun, 24 Aug 2014 20:41:02 +0100, alan_m wrote:

And that's precisely the point. The official supply would not be easy to bypass. The current one is. It's neither fish nor fowl.

Precisely.

Nope. All that happens is plates is plates. And they're all legit.
TAMIS buys a plate VERY rarely, if ever. He gets a shiny pair on his new car, and they filter down all the way to when it heads off to the scrappy - unless one gets broken, in which case it's a rounding error in the MOT/ service/collision repair bill.
On 24/08/2014 20:41, alan_m wrote:

Official plates in many countries are pressed metal ones, not as cheap to print and squash together unofficially (as they are here) they need a press and the official materials or they would be so easy to spot.
On 24/08/2014 22:33, Mrcheerful wrote:

And for the purposes of cloning a photograph and a print on readily available laser/inkjet stock would pass scrutiny from various roadside cameras. A photo realistic image printed on stick on plastic would probably not raise suspicion when viewed from a close distance.
--
mailto: news admac {dot] myzen co uk