Clutch relining.

It used to be commonplace to reline a clutch plate instead of just buying a new one. Is anyone still doing this or has the practice died out?

Best

Horatio.

Reply to
Horatio.

I don't know when you mean by 'used to be', but I've been around cars and garages for 50 years - my dad was in the trade - and I've never seen a car clutch plate re-lined. Exchange units were common, though, but IIRC latterly only the cover. Brake shoes were often relined - I've done that myself.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

The only clutch plates that I have seen refaced were heavy equipment types. They were rivet and bonded.

Mostly lighter car types have quite a few parts which wear and the total clutch plate needs a rebuild not just the linings.

Reply to
Rob

Well, the practice of clutch plate re-lining is alive and well and being practiced on the side of the road in Africa, in the Sahara - check out

for how to fix aMitsubishi clutch when all you've got is Triumph parts!

Replacing the fricction material is only half of the reconditioning. The anti-judder mechanism also wears and requires overhaul. If it lets go on the road the symptom is complete loss of drive.

Reconditioned units hopefully have had new parts fitted :)

Adrian_S

Reply to
Adrian_S

Its also possible to get Clutches for cars done in the UK. I've used Vintage Frictions in Frenchay Bristol to reline vintage clutches with modern materials. There's also a place in Swindon who do clutches and brakes. Its not possible to get replacements for a 1925 Darracq or others.

Am off to the local sadlers next week to get another one done. lets hope they still breed thick hide cows . If not I suppose a quick trip to get some buffalo hide might be called for.

Andy

Sole private member of the Hillman-Coatalen Owners Club

Reply to
Splashlube

Ah, you're nowt but a lad. It was done way back. And they used to replace the corks too.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

Fleetway clutches, Thornton Heath, Croydon, Surrey will source, reline and rebuild a plate. Sorry don't have the number close.

Collectors Car Auction

AUCTIONS & FREE CLASSIFIEDS

Reply to
Gerald Harper

I have a bag of cork inserts for a 50's Royal Enfield.

Villiers and Norton made a big technology leap in the 60's and started using sintered bronze - in a wet oil bath.

Peter Hill

The Villiers Starmaker engine!

And they used to slip.

Reply to
me

Didn't the MG TA use a wet clutch? Probably one of the last cars to do so - fluid flywheels don't count ;-) - but I think it was before the days of sintering bronze or anything else.

Ron Robinson

Reply to
R. N. Robinson

common practice with bikes with multiplate clutches & cork inserts. For cars you would have to go back a long old time. NGB

Reply to
No Good Boyo