From Italy

If you need any help from Italy for your cars, maybe I could help you. Only by mail.

Davide

Reply to
Davide

Yeah, how do I re-register a UK car as an Italian car, how much will it cost?

You won't see this then.

Reply to
Steve Firth

In news:sFm0c.38718$ snipped-for-privacy@twister2.libero.it, Davide decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

I was thinking of importing a car from Italy last year, an Alfa 75 Turbo (I know, I'm sick), but read somewhere that it's near impossible to register an Italian car unless you're an Italian citizen. True?

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Why do you need to register it in Italy, if you're importing it to the UK? DVLA certainly don't need to see Italian papers with *your* name on.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns949EC4ED6AC67adrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

because I've known the DVLA get arsey about such things. I've exported a couple of Range Rovers to Greece over the years, and they were major league pains about exporting a car that wasn't in my name about the last one I did (last March). I figured they'd be as bad bringing in as taking out.

Reply to
Pete M

Pete M ( snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

I presume you mean the Greeks were being a pain on the inbound?

When you tick the "Permanent Export" box and send the V5 back, you just get an export certificate with the owner & car details on it, as kept by DVLA. The problems start because these details are minimal compared to what many countries want - and DVLA are so flexible on what you can register compared to many EU countries.

DVLA are a bunch of pussycats when it comes to registering imports. All you need is proof of age - and that can be from the manufacturer or an approved club, needn't be the actual foreign logbook at all.

Reply to
Adrian

In news:Xns949F58E87B7DBadrianachapmanfreeis@130.133.1.4, Adrian decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

that wasn't an issue... drove it off the Ancona ferry and they didn't even blink.. the Swiss were pains though, charged plenty of Euros for a Range Rover and trailer to drive through their country.... went through the documents, checked *everything* and eventually let me go..

problem was as explained in the post "exporting cars" above.. The Greeks are ok as long as you don't actually try to re-register the car there, just use the UK plates ;-)

From what I can gather, the Italians are a bit tight on exporting cars if you're not an Italian resident. I suspect it's to do with mainland Europeans buying cars in different countries to save on taxes and all that malarky. Probably illegal, but that's Berlusconi for ya...

Reply to
Pete M