FS: Silver Saab 900 T16S 1984 (definatley an 84 B)

In Warrington Cheshire. MOT Mar 05 Tax Jan 05

135k miles. Saab Aero kit and 3 spoke Aero wheels as standard. Electric windows, mirrors, sunroof.

Looking for offers in the region of =A31200, but will consider silly ones= =20 below that as I need to move it.

Heated seats and cruise control do not work, but I think I narrowed the=20 cruise down to the column switch, and seat thermostat burnout or element=20 breaks are common. Heater works well enough to not need heated seats in=20 the UK except in extremes.

Service history till 108k, then serviced and maintained by me from 118k=20 when I bought it. Lots of work done (reciepts). All old MOTs bar one. Currently has Blaupunkt CD player fitted (with AUX in for=20 iPod/laptop/Walkman etc), but depending how close to asking it gets will=20 have Saab Clarion radio cassette refitted.

Needs minor cosmetic bodywork (some laquer flakes and one small rust=20 patch on wing).

Has a slight leak from the oil cooler loses (not uses) about 3/4 litre=20 per 3k miles oil change. Due for a change shortly, but left old oil in=20 as car isn't currently used, and you can see the state of the oil when=20 viewing.

Dash is very rare Burgundy with velour carpet and seats. Centre console=20 is not the original, but a grey carpetted replacement.

Has original space saver spare, and jack+ full saab tool kit (including=20 unused tyre bag).

New shocks (4), balljpoints, front wheel bearings, discs, and calipers=20 at the front.

Make a simple on the road resto, winter classic hack, or parts hauler=20 (have had a 28" widescreen TV in it's box in the boot with the back=20 seats down).

Very reliable, awesome acceleration when turbo spools, runs on 95 ron=20 unleaded fine (no knocking as the APC is standard, and can run as 91 ron=20 without problems), and runs excellent on Super/Optimax/ultimate. I love=20 that car, but misses badgered me to get something newer, and I don't=20 have room to keep both.

Just fancied a change and bought a 1990 Celica GT4 and need to clear the=20 Saab from it's current parking space.

--=20 The poster formerly known as Skodapilot.

MeatballTurbo

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

and if I may be so bold as to recommend viewing of this car, then I will. I've driven it and it's rather nice indeed.

Reply to
Pete M

Thank you sir. Appreciated. How is the Sierra TT now?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

When does a high mileage car on its last legs become a classic?

Budgie

Reply to
Budgie

Hardly last legs mate.

Saab engines run to at least 300k with servicing. As it is 20 years old this month, has a cult following, is a very early

16v turbo (most early ones are registered as C reg, or 85 B reg), has the rare burgundy dash cover that even most long term Saab parts guys don't know about, and is one of the safest cars on the road, it's fair to say it is a classic.

Loads of life left in this, but I have a nagging missus who insted I get something more modern, but I drew the line at 1990, hence the Celica GT4.

If I had a lock up, and money to insure it, I would be keeping it, but I have neither, and need the space.

Not only is it a classic, it is very practical.

185BHP, 0-60 in 7.5, stupid 50-90 (faster than a Ferrari 308 at the time), I averaged 29MPG commuting on 95 ron unleaded. Designed to withstand marauding Elk, and protect the occupants in the event of a crash (a long time before impact beams and airbags were required), has a huge luggage capacity, and can easily carry 5 adults at motorway speeds for as long as you want. It's one of those odd cars that feels better, and gives beter consumption, the faster you go. Best fuel economy I got was on an 80mph average for 2 hours solid. Feels better at 80 than it does at 60, and is bliss at 100, and at that speed 5th gear overtakes put you right into the boost without dropping a cog.

If you don't like the description, tough. Believe it or not, I was honest about the condition, because when people want Saab C900 T16S's they travel great miles to get one, and I didn't want someone turning up thinking they were getting minter, when it is best described as scruffy but solid (roughly PC condition 2 but better, but not condition 1). It's an everyday car that still gets polished and autoglym glossed regularly, it can be parked anywhere, won't get broken into, but get you were you are going and back in warmth and comfort.

It's not a show winner, and I wouldn't dream of trying to sell it as one.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

135k is nothing for a Saab 900. My brother's was running fine at well over 200k, until he drove it into the back of a van :-(

Ian

Reply to
Ian Riches

You obviously don't appreciate Saabs mate...

Reply to
Chris

Thanks to everybody who gave a few good words in reply.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Especially "real" (ie pre-GM) Saabs! 135k is far from its last legs; mine has 150k and will still see off most hot hatches.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

This is actually a good point.

To the average person, it's an old shed on it's last legs, but to someone who knows a bit about cars, it's a 'future classic'.

Much the same as my 75, really.

Reply to
SteveH

"Budgie" realised it was Fri, 3 Sep 2004 10:43:44 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

When did you define the word 'classic' for the rest of the world?

Reply to
Yippee

In news: snipped-for-privacy@news.individual.net, MeatballTurbo decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Worryingly quick, but still waiting for the logbook.. when it's all sorted I'll take you for a quick spin in it.

Reply to
Pete M

And there's as good a definition of a classic as I have ever seen in this group ;-)

Reply to
Mark W

Yep, it's a car that will live a long time, do something different to everything arround it, an dlive a long time, or did I already say that.

It also tends to be a car that you either love or hate, because it has it's different features.

On the Saab it is the front handbrake, and the trans below the engine driven by a 3 row chain.

On the 75 it is the weird handbrake, and the transaxle transmission on a front engined RWD car + the fact of that for an older Alfa, they don't rust so badly as those that went before. The boxy but flowing angles help with the Alfa but different looks too, making it look like a 33 on steroids.

I guess you either get it or you don't.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

In article , snipped-for-privacy@blue-nopressedmeat-yonder.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.classic...

Nice.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

I didn't - that was the question I was asking.

Budgie

Reply to
Budgie

280K on my last...

Saabs (the old ones) have character, style and uniqueness which are 3 prerequisites in my book that help make a car 'classic'.

Of course if some people had their way only pre 1930's cars would be considered classic.. Then you have the other extreme with old BL stuff and Cortina's etc....

Reply to
Chris

In news: snipped-for-privacy@uni-berlin.de, Budgie decided to enlighten our sheltered souls with a rant as follows

Classic cars are cars that normally were either much better, more fun or better looking than their contemporary rivals, they're the cars you wanted when you were growing up, the cars that have never been replaced in your affections. Cars you always wanted. Cars that if you see one on the road you think "That's nice, I wish I'd bought that one I was offered years ago, but I didn't want to risk it because I thought it was just another old car on its last legs". Cars you regret not buying.

Some cars are classics because of memories they evoke. The Mk1 Granada 3.0 reminds a lot of people of things like the Sweeney; flares, big collars, kipper ties, sideburns, polyester. The Mk1 Granny makes it to classic status in my eyes because I remember my dad having them when I was a kid, I love the looks of them, and they're not bad cars, not the best car that was available, but certainly not the worst big car around at the time. I'd award that to the Chrysler 180.

Saabs like Carls may not be as good as a top spec 9-5, but they're a lot more "Saaby" if you like. Alfa 156s may well be a better car than Steve H's 75, but they're less "Alfa" My XR4x4 may not be as classic as Austins' 4x4 estate, but it's a lot less overpriced To a lot of people my Capri isn't a classic, but I don't GAF!

They all have character and the character of a classic will sometimes be enough to make grown men spend months restoring otherwise obselete hunks of rust.

Some cars will never, ever, be classics.

The Daewoo Nexia will never be a classic, because it's not good looking, it's nowhere near as good as its rivals, and nobody in their right minds ever lusted after one, for the same reason, a Vauxhall Belmont will never make it to classic status, neither will the Nova, or the Astra, or the Nissan Primera.. The Toyota Avensis will simply disappear off the face of the planet. It'll be the next Hillman Avenger.

Some cars make it to classic status because they're so bloody awful

The Toyota Crown, the Datsun 300C,

Some cars will never be replaced by anything as good.

The E type, the Rover SD1 Vitesse, the original E30 M3, the Rover P5B Coupé. These are cars that were so close to greatness that it hurt.

Others were replaced by far better cars, which stopped them from becoming classics. They're just the "one before the proper one" The original 3 and 7 series BMWs are examples of not being as classic as the car before or after them. I've always liked the 3.0 CS BMW, but I've never wanted a 728.. go figure..

Reply to
Pete M

"Budgie" realised it was Sat, 4 Sep 2004 13:56:15 +0100 and decided it was time to write:

I see.

A classic is in the eye of the beholder. Your classic may not be a classic to someone else. Everyone has his own idea of what makes a classic car, based on childhood memories, books, aesthetic or technical preferences, what the neighbours think, free advice from a bloke in the pub, whatever. A classic need not be a fine, restored car, it need not even be special. To some it may be a clapped out, rusty econobox from the 70's, or just any old car. I personally believe that every Lotus Elise built is an instant classic as it rolls off the production line, but that's just me.

That's why the perpetual discussion 'what constitutes a classic car' in this newsgroup is so futile. There is not just one definition, but about as many as there are car enthusiasts.

Reply to
Yippee