fuel tank repair

Does anybody here have any direct experience of any of the various fuel tank repair products on the market ?

I have a load of pinholes in the fuel tank of an ancient lawnmower.

Whats left of the material (a mixture of mild steel and rust) is way too thin to use a MIG welder on, so I was wondering if any of the various tank repair products on the market are any good.

Some of the "pour in" products are apparently suitable for large car tanks of 50 litres or more, which might be a waste as I dont suppose this tank holds more than 2 litres

Granvilles "Petro Patch Putty" looks like it might do the job, but I would welcome any sensible alternative suggestions.

Reply to
Abandoned Trolley

If you have a decent soldering iron, I would be inclined to rub down to non-rusty metal the area round each pinhole, treat it with flux and put some solder over each one. DON'T use a flame, it isn't safe near anything that has held petrol!

The other possibility is to google the make and model of the lawn mower. If someone is getting rid of one with a decent fuel tank because the engine is kaput, it might be possible to swap the tanks over. If the company is still in business it would also be worth asking them if they can provide a replacement tank.

There are also replacement tanks advertised online:

if you can identify one that might be suitable - it is bound to be cheaper than a replacement mower. Also some on ebay:
I have never tried any of the pour in treatments so I can't comment on how effective they are.

Good luck!

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John