Getting rid of mould in a car interior

Well, SWMBO has a far better nose than myself and it turns out that the 'old car' smell I noticed in the Rover is actually mold. Bummer.

So I order to use the car I need to get rid of the mold in the first place - thi stuff is rather too unhealthy to be risking anything here. Does anyone have any experience of getting rid of mold - I

*think* it's mainly in the carpets (most likely the underlay as the carpets aren't stained in any way), the seats seem to be OK.

Any advice welcome.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Timo Geusch wrote: [snip]

mildew, which is what you probably have is a common problem for yotties. So most chandlers sell mildew removing sprays. These are (when the contents are examined) a mix of detergent, sodium hydroxide and bleach, all in very low concentrations. They are amazingly effective, work in just a few seconds and don't appear to damage fabrics.

I think the one I use is made by Starbrite. If you live near the coast pop into a chandler, if you don't have a look in Homebase or other DIY sheds where they sell mildew cleaners for domestic use.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Wind the Wife up, then shut her in the car for an Hour, by then all the shouting and carrying on would have created enough hot air to dry the interior out ;-) Mold Problem solved

Reply to
Igundwane

My wife suggests:

  1. Get the carpets fully dry
  2. Use a dilute solution of any biological washing powder, warm water and a clean cloth.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Peter

1964 Rover P4 110 1959 Morris Oxford V almost a 1969 P6 3500
Reply to
Peter Sheppard

Domestic mould and mildew remover?

If it's in any fibre like the underlay I would suggest replacement of the offending item, it just shreds as you try to clean it. Getting the carpet out to check under it and kill any spores requires the seats, door sill capping, 'B' pillar trim, possibly other interior trim like center console and if a 2 door rear side finishers removing.

Do you have air con? The evaporator may need a fungicidal foam treatment.

Peter Hill

Pretty rare on a UK P6.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

So were filters on the ventilation system. Probably needs the ventilation intake and fan striping to empty out all the seeds and other damp rotting vegetation. Considering what I have got of some that are only 10 years old it could be growing mushrooms in there. Fan runs a lot quieter without 3 Sycamore seeds going round like balls in a roulette wheel.

Peter Hill

Thanks, I'll give that a try. I'll probably replace the carpet, underlay and door cards but I'd like to salvage the rest of the interior.

Reply to
Timo Geusch