GT6 Rear Trunnion Replacement

I have a 1972 GT6 MkIII and need to replace both rear trunnions in time for the MOT in a months time. My local garage and the Haynes manual imply that it is a pig of a job to get the old ones out.

Can anyone give me any tips about the best way to approach this. Also is it a good idea to replace some of the other bushes while I am doing his work.

Any help gratefully recieved

Jon snipped-for-privacy@btinternet.com

Reply to
Jonathan Sharman

When you say "trunnions" do you mean the bushes in the Rotoflex lower wishbone? Yes it's a pig of a job and no there's no easy answer - heat and a big hammer, a bigger hammer and more heat! Use all new seals, nuts and bolts - all the parts are available easily from most Triumph Spares places, cheapest is probably

It's pretty easy to check whether it has seized though, before starting the job. Just loosen the nut and see if the bolt can be turned. It's a good idea to do this periodically anyway. If the bolt is seized, keep an eye out for a spare vertical link on Ebay, etc., in case heat and the big hammer fails.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

You can get these new from

- I think they will also do whole built up units with new bearings, etc on an exchange price, expensive if you can do the job on a full DIY basis but cheap and easy if you are getting a local mechanic to do it or you can't afford to have the car off the road for long.