"historic vehicle"??

I am coming close to the end of a restoration, and to my horror I have heard that if a vehicle was not designated as being a "Historic vehicle" on the registration doc that it is not possible to get it marked as a "Historic vehicle", it has been off the road for many many years and although is well over 25 years old, it never got the designation on the reg doc, is it possible for any one to clear up this situation for me!!!!!!!

-- To reply remove " spam "

Reply to
Rich

Rich ( snipped-for-privacy@ntlworldspam.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It's not 25 year cutoff now (and hasn't been for years), it's built or registered before 1/1/73. You can still convert to that tax class, but your post office can't do it, you need to apply to DVLA.

Reply to
Adrian

Ok sounds good I knew about being registered before 01 Jan 1973, but are you sure about the fact you can still get the tax class changed?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

You _most definitely_ can. I bought the Rover in my .sig 6 weeks ago and it was still registered as a standard PLG. I just went to my local VRO with the old V5, they gave me a new 'historic' tax disk after checking the dates and about two weeks ago, I received the V5 in my name with 'historic vehicle' taxation class.

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Rich was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

BTW, it's "built before 1/1/73", not "registered before".

Reply to
Timo Geusch

Oh yes my mistake I meant to say built before but it came out registered !!!!!!!!!! Thanks all I will carry on at full steam. Rich

Reply to
Rich

If you can prove it, then the build date is the relevant date. The registration date can be some quite a bit later than the build date so, if you can prove that a car was built before 1/1/1973, you will get tax exemption and historic vehicle classification, even if the car wasn't registered until yesterday. Obviously, this means that you don't pay for the tax disk and you can have black number plates.

-- athomik

Reply to
athomik

I am reasonably certain that black and white plates apply by registration date.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

You're correct, of course: they're **registration** plates, not

**manufacturing** plates.

As an aside it's amazing how many people still think there's a rolling 25 year threshold. A chap trying to sell a 1979 TR7 to me a few weeks ago was adamant that it'll be tax-free next year - wouldn't be told! ;-)

-- Ken Davidson DocDelete

Reply to
DocDelete

DocDelete ( snipped-for-privacy@thehomeofnospam.org) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Tell him you'll have it next year, once he's got it on the free tax...

Reply to
Adrian

On the matter of 'proof' what will the DVLA accept eg. a letter from the marque Club based on the chassis no. etc etc ?

Thanks TT

Reply to
Tony Tynan

Tony Tynan was seen penning the following ode to ... whatever:

I think it has to be a letter from a recognised car club, i.e. Joe Blogg's Clasicke Car Clubbe, membership 1 won't do it. OTOH they do accept dating certificates from the BMW Club (the motorbike club, that is).

Reply to
Timo Geusch

When I wanted free tax for my landrover (P reg but built much earlier) , I wrote to the heritage motor thingy :

they send a letter stating the manufacture year. They charged tenpounds at the time. DVLA accepted that immediately. MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

Tony Tynan ( snipped-for-privacy@iol.ie) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The manufacturer/importer, or the DVLA recognised club will have one or more named people who are approved to issue dating certificates.

What car is it, btw?

Reply to
Adrian

They used to, but it's been changed: it's "constructed before 1/1/73" now, just like the Historic Vehicle taxation class. See

for details.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Ian Johnston ( snipped-for-privacy@talk21.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Makes sense - dead easy to see now if they're legit or not. Was the tax disc free? Yes - b&w is OK. No - Producer & fixed penalty.

We wait with bated breath to see if London busses ever stop getting away with it....

(TBH, very few early 70s cars look "right" with b&w plates to me - they need the ally plates with raised plastic letters)

Reply to
Adrian

registration

I take that back then, thanks.

MrCheerful

(3 tax exempts)

Reply to
MrCheerful

My satin black 1971 Beetle looks ok with black stamped ally plates.

-- athomik

Reply to
athomik

Thanks for the tips, folks