Historic vehicle mods & SORNs. Advice please

Sometime in the late 90's I bought a Mk1 Escort based Dutton Sierra kit car which for some reason bears the original number plate of the donor Escort -

1969 H-reg. It's down as a 'Historic Vehicle' on the V5 and as such qualifies for 'free' tax discs. Obviously I'm rather keen to keep the 'free road tax' status but I need advice on how far I can go with modifications before 'they' decide it is no longer a Historic Vehicle. It's been garaged undergoing modification since 1998. It has grown a 'new' modified Suzuki SJ chassis, Suzuki Samurai axles and 4X4 transmission along with a 2.0i Opel Manta engine & box, coil suspension all round and disc brakes front & rear. When finished it will also have a full roll cage. I send in a SORN declaration every year but all the info is for the Dutton in it's 1.3 Escort form. Bearing in mind the desirability of Historic status should I declare the mods all in one go? Or should I add one or two of them to each SORN and hope 'they' don't notice the gradual change. I've got a SORN due for return this month and the vehicle will probably take another year (and another SORN) to complete. Any sensible, practical advice would be welcome.

TIA Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

It might have been worth a try if body type and model description details were change when the Dutton was built - at that time kits usually retained the original registration number but should have the registration details officially changed to for example "Ford Special" or "Ford based kit car" or "Dutton Kit car" however in most cases this wasn't done by the original builders. If this is the case what you have now is nothing to do with the originsal Ford Escort registration document.

Although the authorities can be quite understanding about pre-Q registration kits that were never corectly re-registered when originally built and will sometimes allow the model description to be corrected retaining the originasl number BUT what you have now is built a new kit car based on Suzuki parts which will need to be registered as such and require a Q plate and a full SVA.

Reply to
bonzo

I reckon legally it will need to be re registered on a Q plate, if it did have the chassis replaced with a new replacement Dutton chassis of the same type & just a replacement different engine you may get away with it,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

If I were you, I would tell them the engine number change only. Anything else will open up a can of worms.

MrCheerful

Reply to
MrCheerful

If the V5 isn't 100% correct what are you going to tell the Insurance company when you want to put it on the road? One slip up and 'Oh I'm sorry you didn't tell us that so you're not insured after all' 'And why doesn't your V5 match the car exactly Sir?' 'Do DVLA know?'

Might have bearing on whichever way you decide to go.

Anyway its a modern kit car now bearing no relation to the original concept so ineligable for the concessions. If too many people do this its another excuse for the Government to say well the old car people can't be trusted we shall just make everyone pay. Its bad enough having to fight Brussels with all their directives on use and paint etc.

The date should never have been moved from 1947. Even better make it 1938. So few cars built during the war it would end a whole load of arguements. Bet that comment open a whole new can of worms.

Andy

Reply to
Splashlube

The current V5 has it as a H reg Dutton Sierra with a 1.3 engine and seating capacity of 5. I think the new V5 will have it as a H reg Dutton Sierra with a 2.0 engine and seating for 2. It will still be fuelled by petrol and it still bears the same body/chassis number that is already on the V5. I have not removed, erased, repositioned, replaced or created any vehicle ID tags or numbers. (Other than engine No.s) When I insure it I will notify the insurers of every tiny detail as I have done with modified vehicles (mostly Landrovers) in the past. Talking of Landrovers, would anyone like to guess how many Ninetys and One Tens are running around on Series 2 IDs...? No, I don't know the answer but they don't take much spotting ;-)

Cheers, Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

I quote from your original post

"It has grown a 'new' modified Suzuki SJ chassis, Suzuki Samurai axles and 4X4 transmission along with a 2.0i Opel Manta engine & box, coil suspension all round and disc brakes"

This goes well past the level of changed substantial component units that would require re-registration. If it retains any identity it is that of the Suzuki SJ chassis donor.

Reply to
bonzo

I have not removed, erased, repositioned, replaced or created any vehicle ID tags or numbers. (Other than engine No.s) Cheers, Simon H

Dutton Sierra has a chassis no. stamped on a plate, usually on the beam across the bulkead, in the form of the letter "S" followed by a 4 figure number whereas the suzuki chassis probably has a number stamped into it - what number is on your V5?

-- Neil McDonald ("Reply to" is spamtrapped).

Reply to
Neil McDonald

The V5 has the Dutton chassis number. It's on the VIN plate on the bulkhead. The beam across the bulkhead is still there as the bonnet hinges are mounted on the ends - I will look for signs of stamped number the next time I'm at the garage. The SJ chassis number would have been stamped on the OSF chassis leg, which is no longer there. (I told you it was modified!).

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H