Imperial Size Copper Washers wanted

Where in UK (North Cambs/South Lincs if possible) can I get hold of 9/16 (id) x 7/8 (od) copper washers to fit a banjo connector for a hydraulic brake system?

I've tried everywhere I know (and lots I've never heard of)

Cheers

Reply to
Classic Car Man

I would try industrial hydraulic places. Motorcycle shops sell 14mm hole copper washers (which is very close to 9 sixteenths) or at least I did at a Suzuki dealership

Reply to
mrcheerful

When I needed some funny connectors for the Rebel's brake system, Automec had them in an envelope to me almost before I'd finished saying what I wanted. I'd try them.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Similar to the type used on fuel systems? Burlen?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Could it be because most hydraulic systems now use aluminium washers for banjos?

Slatts

Reply to
Sla#s

You can still get copper ones for brass ends. Have you tried

Duncan Wood

=============================== This should provide what you want but you'll have to buy enough (minimum

20 pieces)to last a lifetime:

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

My usual fallback for this type of thing is the local agricultural engineers. In my case (and not TOO far from your next of the woods) its Ibbetts at Gt Paxton (between Huntingdon and St Neots.

May be worth giving them a call ...

Reply to
Mark W

Yes, hence the spate of brake systems in VAG motors dumping brake fluid across the road when the ally washer anodises away with the road salt (nice).

There's a lot to be said for copper washers, but if in doubt, turn your own.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

A local toolmaker / engineering firm can probably sort you out cheaply.

Reply to
Colin Wilson

Providing of course that they own or have access to a lathe, and have some suitable diameter copper rod. I doubt it's a practical suggestion for most who subscribe to this n/g. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

If the op is that much into vintage cars then they should be self sustaining or know somebody who can do te work required. I have to maufacture to standards parts to maintain two 600hp marine diesels. Being at least 50 years old in design terms, you have to make your own stuff due to this stupid march towards enforced metricism.

Besides, what sort of company puts ally washers at road level where the road salt is going to knock the bollocks out of them...........oh yes, a german one.

Vorsprung Krap Technik I think.

PDH

Reply to
Paul Hubbard

It wouldn't occur to me to make washers on a lathe. I'd use sheet and Q-Max punches. Although probably influenced by my big selection of these.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I would get the nearest slightly smaller ID metric one and use a fine round file. Now pretty well everone could do this.

Reply to
Brian

A certain Italian motorcycle manufacturer comes to mind also. Aluminium is a lot cheaper than copper, so provided it lasts the warranty period, there are savings to be made. What manufacturer cares what happens later?

Reply to
Brian

I have an assorted box of metric copper washers at work. It's surprising how innapropriate they are for converting into imperial sizes. Especially to suit 1/4" BSP and above. Increase the bore size for one to fit, and the width of the washer can become too narrow, because in many cases the o/d's is just not big enough. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

I agree, but that wasn't my point. Which was that few DIY home restorers have access to machine tools like lathes, mills, etc. A few might have a bench drill, but not many would have the room for anything much bigger.

I have to maufacture to

I'm aware of that, as apart from repairing and making mould tools, in my job I maintain about 2 dozen plastic moulding machines. From 15 to 80 tons capacity. Plus other machines like dryers, scrap grinders etc. I often have to make parts to keep them running, as although spares are still available for most of them, they can be horrendously expensive. Not to mention the lost productivity in waiting for them to arrive, which could easily represent a loss of as much as £100 a day.

I have the key to a well equiped machine toolrom. With a lathe, pedestal drill, universal mill, surface grinder, honing machine, arc welder, MIG welder, etc etc. which I can use at any time I want, but I doubt that many in this n/g are as fortunate.

Even with such facilities, as you must know. Making a small items like copper washers yourself can be expensive if you haven't the material in stock. Buying a piece of suitable rod can incurr a minimum order charge as high as £50. Expensive if you only want to make a few washers. Mike.

Reply to
Mike G

Perhaps a box of non-metric ones would help

Duncan Wood

Copper can be a complete bugger to turn anyway. Or cut generally.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Not the easiest of metals to machine I would agree as it tends to be sticky, but IMO parting off is the only op that really needs care to avoid a broken tool, or clag up. To use a technical term. :-) Mike.

Reply to
Mike G