Limited slip diff question

A while back someone here taught me that you can identify an LSD by the fact that turning one output shaft (or wheel if it's still on the car) causes the other one to turn in the same direction, whereas on a conventional diff, it would turn in the opposite direction. This worked on the rear wheel drive car I was fiddling with, but could someone please confirm whether this is also true for front wheel drive cars? I don't see why it shouldn't be, but it would be nice to know for sure. If that's a yes, does anyone know if a limited slip diff was standard on a Mk2 Golf GTI (8 valve, 1986)?

If you haven't already figured out where this is going, I'm trying to establish whether I've just found something valuable in the Golf I'm currently scrapping. Seeing the rest of the car, I'd be surprised if it's been modified, but you never know.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

yes, the opposite wheel should turn the same way as the one you twist. Not many fwd cars have an lsd unit though as they become quite dangerous when you really boot them (for the average driver anyway) Only one I have come across was an escort turbo, it leapt up a kerb when my dad pulled away too hard.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Thanks. That saves me having to jack up Mrs E's Passat to find it out.

Ouch!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

May be an urban myth, but in 1965 an advertising film company wanted a soundtrack of a big six on full song, going up through the gears. Borrowed my pal's E-Type, jacked up one rear wheel, set mikes etc. Driver starts up, selects first, gives it some welly. LSDs were rare in those days and nobody told him....

Off the jack, through the studio wall and last seen heading up Kensington High Street with a very frightened sound man on board. Allegedly.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Reply to