LPG?

I phoned up the company concerned and asked about converting the DS. I got a grumpy, ill-informed reply - there is no way I would have gone there, even if I hadn't an alternative lined up.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Noted. Thanks.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

THe monumental expense I was referring to was getting it checked out. Thanks for the above info though, at least I know where to go if the missuses insurance company start playing up.

Reply to
Conor

I'm trying to remember where the figure of 50 pounds I have in mind for this came from. I think it may have been quoted by someone selling both DIY kits and full conversions. I.e. buy the kit from them and they'll check and certify it for 50 quid. Prices have certainly come down within the last year or so.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

LPG prices on the world market are going up too! It will soon be time for them to pass the price rise on. LPG is no longer a waste by-product of the petrolchemical industry.

Years of just flaring it off.

Peter Hill

Timing advance is required as it's slower burning (worse at lower compression) than petrol. The full benefit of that high octane rating can not be obtained by raising compression as the inlet temp is higher due to loss of cooling by vapourisation of liquid petrol.

Peter Hill

Yes, a lot of the "advice" you received here was bollocks. Especially Conor's contribution. If you ask in uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg you will get more sensible answers and Austin Shackles is a regular there and has converted several cars as DIY projects.

In brief for a classic it should be a simple job compared to modern cars with ECUs. If valves are a worry there is the "flashlube" device that can be used to add valve lubrication to the inlet air.

Reply to
Steve Firth

That's just like Jet fuel a waste product till it became useful and exciseable.

Reply to
ops

Well her insurance company want to see the certificate which we don't have so it looks like I'll be ringing round on Monday.

Cheers.

Reply to
Conor