Mini carbs identifying?

I've got these to stick on Ebay for a friend (had a 1275GT but sold it) and left with these.

I've stripped and resprayed the filter housing to make them a bit less shabby but I could do with knowing what they actually are to list them?

Any pointers appreciated.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Using the power of my mind, I think I can safely say they are twin HS2s, most likely off an MG1100, fitted around 1968.

Of course, I might be able to do better if I could see the bloody things! ;)

Reply to
Stuffed

Lol, knew there was something... ;-)

- carbs01 carbs 03

Anyone looking at any other pics don't it'll mess with your mind trying to figure them all out. :-0

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Well, they're a pair of HS2s alright. On a shitty log manifold with a servo takeoff. So you'd be looking for something that came in sporty form, and had a servo. So that's Coopers, MG 1100s, Princesses (IIRC), and maybe Midgets (though I'm not sure about servo brakes on them). There's probably many more that others know about, and I'm not sure myself on the 1100s having servos.

There's a site that can tell you from the tags, I think it's Burlen, but that's not half as much fun as trying to do it from the pictures :)

And if you're looking to Ebay them, just list them as for any A series, although they'd be seriously dire for full top end, but the low end grunt should be good with 1 1/4 carbs. I've never bothered trying twin 1 1/4s on an A series, always gone single HiF38 or 44, but there's bound to be someone out there who'd want them. Morris Minors, Midgets, Minis, 1100s, Elfs, Hornets, A35s (IIRC), etc - Quite a wide market for them :)

Reply to
Stuffed

Look like HS4 to me - but it's difficult to tell because of the poncey angle. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah, definately HS2s. Vertically opposed mountings, the HS4s were diagonal, and 6s on had 4 mounting holes, IIRC. Plus those nasty right angle inlets off the air filter box are too small for HS4s.

I know I'm right on this, because recently I've been very up close and personal with an HS2 carb, to the point where I see them in my sleep - It's not bloody healthy!

Reply to
Stuffed

The tags on the float chambers tell you what they are. They look like AUD104L and R which would have come from a 998 Cooper. It would also be worth checking what the needles are. You need to take the needles out of the pistons because the codes are engraved on the shanks. Also note if the needles have been "worked on" by a tuner. The standard needle is a GY.

Reply to
Richard Porter

I was rather disappointed with your picture of threepenny bits....

Simon H

Reply to
Simon H

Yes, but

about makes up for it ;-) She's got a pair of SU HS6s by the looks ofit...

Reply to
DocDelete

Thanks for all the replies.

Going on what's he's said about the 1275GT in the past I'd go with the Cooper 998 suggestion from memory he mentioned some bits from one in the ten years it took me to get him to sell the 1275 that had been sat in his garage for the past twelve... ;-)

The 3penny bits was my picture version of cockney for some soft southerners. :-)

As for the twin SU's on Roccogirl they certainly are. ;-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

Whats the triangular tag say on under the screw on the float bowl - transpose this to this site and lets know exactly.

That translates to HS2 998cc Mini Cooper

rm

Reply to
Rob

Thanks for that Rob. =

Make: Mini Model: Cooper Year: 1964-1969 Engine Size: 998cc Carb Type: HS2 Number of Carbs: 2 Set Part No: AUD 104T Fuel Pump Specification

Tag says AUD 104R in the picture of the one I took.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

The only thing I'm not convinced about is the take off for the brake servo - I didn't think normal Coopers had those, was under the impression it was just an "S" thing?

Reply to
Stuffed

I've posted up another two pictures.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

So you have. No more of Roccogirl though I see, shame... ;)

I think as the carbs are sided, the suffix letter denotes which "hand" is which. I'm no expert when it comes to the numbers though, in fact none of my carbs have got the tags anymore anyway, to me an HS2 or HS4 is an HS2 or an HS4, and I simply fit the right needle for the engine I'm fitting them to. Would probably annoy the hell out of the next owner, if I ever sold any of the fleet.

When I've had a bit of sleep I'll try and look up about the brakes - That's the only thing that makes me wonder about them being for a 998 Cooper. But as I recall all A series engines of the time that had twins had HS2s, although there were obviously different needles fitted, and sometimes springs too, IIRC. Don't know what these things fetch on Ebay, I once sold a pair of HS2s on an A series manifold at an autojumble for 25 quid, I'd cleaned them up, but they needed a bit of work. And I've seen HS4s on Spit/ Dolomite manifolds reaching 50 quid or more on Ebay.

Really though you ought to get yourself a little Mini 850 to bolt them onto - Should be a very good match, and a bit more unusual than the everyday City with a 1275 stuffed in it :)

Reply to
Stuffed

The early Coopers did have a brake servo (which was flat on one side) even with the servo the brakes weren't much good - drums out performed them. The pads were about 1" square.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Thats not a brake servo take off its the PCV valve. A hose goes from there to the side cover plate over the push rods. (Should be a wire clip over the top also inside a coil spring and diaphram)

Reply to
Rob

Right Hand and Left Hand

Reply to
Rob

The "log" manifold is usually drilled and tapped for a servo take-off, but will have a blanking plug in it on non-servo cars. I used to have a

998 Cooper but I can't remember if it had a servo. It had 7" discs which were not all that effective. The 'S' had 7.5" discs.
Reply to
Richard Porter

I've enough to do sorting the MK1 Scirocco Storm I have as it is, nevermind the house to do... ;-)

If I'd had the space and money I'd have bought the 1275 they were stored inside... guy that bought it couldn't believe my friend was selling it.

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.