Old Registration Docs

Having seen these recent number plate posts, I have a question.

A few years ago (10 possible) I had a early Austin Healey Mk2? sprite (midget shape) and a Frogeye that I was restoring, the Mk2 failed it's MOT on bad floor and a lot of other small things, so I basically decided to scrap it and use what good mechanical stuff I could on the frogeye, this I did and then cut up what was left of the mk2 shell and binned it.

I still have the original old style registration document for the mk2 and DVLA was never advised of the scrapping etc. Is it transferable now or is it considered dead?

The AA site still shows it as on an Austin Healey Sprite.

Cheers

Andy

Reply to
Andy Vines

Lots of snips.........

Er - which? I'm missing a few fingers on my right hand due to a mishap some

30 years ago on the Safari rally. But even I can count between three and four, even if I have to use my toes.

You also mentioned "investment". Well, I suppose you can't drive a PEP or ISA or whatever we are being sold this week. But I'm sorry to hear of interesting (not necessarily classic) cars being treated in purely financial terms.

Just curious - I'm sure there is a website but don't know how to look - I've had in the past HYD 1 (1947 3.5 litre Jaguar) and SGF 1 (Mk 10 Jaguar) both of which came with the cars. Wonder what they are on these days?

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

There are two answers to this question: No, and yes..

Officially, it's dead.

OTOH, what I'm told some people do is this: find a car of the same model that is roadworthy. Get a new chassis plate made up (Moss sell blanks, plenty of places sell metal stamps)with your old chassis number, and swap it for the one on the roadworthy car. Buy a pair of number plates, and fit them. Get it MoTed and taxed, for which you'll need to insure it. Transfer the number in the usual way - you may have to have the car inspected, but iirc Spridgets don't have the chassis number anywhere else. Get a new number issued, then "scrap" that virtual car, and put the old chassis and number plates back on the real one. I am not advocating this, by the way, as it's illegal. The problem is that some people get greedy and keep doing it; I understand that someone not that far from me is having to do a bit of explaining at the moment.

A technically illegal, but less-likely-to-be-caught method would be to use it on a heritage shell with an assortment of secondhand and new bits, or buy the leftovers from someone else's heritage reshell and sell it on with your paperwork and the promise "worth lots when it's back on the road".

Reply to
Autolycus

Geoff Mackenzie wrote: rms.

Go to the RAC website and register. Then go to the 'vehicle data check' page and look them up, they're both there. When I tried there was incomplete data on SGF 1.

Reply to
red--NOSPAM--squirrel

Depends on your definition criteria ;o) Does one thats basically just a shell but might get round to being restored one day count as another one, or not?

Only an investment in the same way as a MODERN car is an investment - it owes you lots of money and you want to get as much of that back as possible come parting time. God forbid that the old man actually MAKE money out of one of them, he'd go out and buy some more!

Reply to
michelle

Andy Vines ( snipped-for-privacy@btNOTconnectED.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Do you have an MOT for that reg, either current or expired at most six months ago? If so, then you can transfer it off. If not...

Reply to
Adrian

HYD1:

Vehicle details Manufacturer Mercedes Model 450 SLC AUTO Body type coupe Colour Black Fuel type Petrol Date manufactured 01 January 0001 Number of previous owners 0 Last owner change 23 August 1974

Yeah, yeah, the dates are not always accurate ;-)

Vehicle details Manufacturer Model Body type coupe Colour Silver Fuel type Petrol Date manufactured 29 January 2003 Number of previous owners Last owner change

Hmm... must be something weird, certainly not a "common" car.

-- Howard Rose

1966 VW Beetle 1300 Deluxe 1962 Austin Mini Deluxe 1964 Austin Mini Super Deluxe
(cars on website)
Reply to
Howard Rose

OK, just wanted to know if to keep it or throw it in the bin.

Thought if it was easy or possible I could transfer it to my VW Type 2 Camper.

Bin here it comes.

Thanks

Andy

Reply to
Andy Vines

Fair comment, hadn't thought of that. I once entered an ashtray in the "part restored" class at a JDC meet on the basis that it was genuinely the only bit of the car that was finished. Looked a bit lonely in a full sized parking place.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Thanks for the research. What a strange result, though.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie