Opinions please...

Anything with a 2.8 six isn't going to work well in traffic, but once you're out on the road, they're pretty damned economical for their size.

Reply to
SteveH

[checks pockets and back of sofa]

Where can you get one for £3k?? Estate? And how much is the R?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Drew

The message from snipped-for-privacy@italiancar.co.uk (SteveH) contains these words:

My Audi doesn't conform. Now I have had the petrol line leak fixed I might be getting about 30 mpg on long runs. From what Dave said earlier about how economical his was I was thinking of shifting to a BMW when I next change my car.

Reply to
Roger

Ladas are incredibly reliable, aren't they? Utterly soul-less and about as comfortable as an incurable STD, but reliable, yes.

Reply to
Questions

I've certainly not seen my 528 auto drop as low as 30 on a run - assuming half decent traffic.

If you stick to 70 ish on a motorway you'll see the upper '30s.

Town is a different matter.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

A quick glance at an old Autocar shows the 2.8 A6 and 2.8 E39 to be as near as dammit the same on their touring route.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

I must tour a bit too quickly then although I don't have an A6 but a 94 Coupe and I don't suppose the 4 wheel drive helps petrol consumption very much.

I don't think the Audi did 30 to the gallon even when I bought it 7 years ago but it was an improvement on the Sierra 4x4 it replaced so I didn't think anything of it. Even with the petrol leak at its worst it seemed to give at least as good as the Sierra on long runs (25ish).

Reply to
Roger

In article , snipped-for-privacy@quickwatchsales.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.classic...

And lovable in a real "it's an old piece of shit, but it's gotten me everywhere I needed to go, no matter how bad the road/weather/driving conditions, and I couldn't be without it now" kind of way.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

LOL.

I don't miss the one I had years ago, one little bit. It wasn't just shit, it was stupidly thirsty for something so mundane.

-- JackH

Reply to
JackH

Funny you should say that. I've always wanted to put a Rover V8 in the back of one; I'm sure there's room!

Reply to
Chris Bolus

In article , snipped-for-privacy@FARINAb0lus.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.classic...

Someone I know who is a mini and Skoda nut had a friend who built the ScarySkoda. Ford V6 in the back.

Then there was the Skobaru, Skoda rapid with a Subaru turbo boxer in, and there are a couple of Alfa Boxer and Alfa/Fiat/Lancia Twink Rapids arround too.

Plus awhole host of stripped out fun to run rapids and Estelles like

MeatballTurbo