P6 Questions

Hello All,

couple of P6 questions..

The previous owner said the diff is grumbling - "there is a lot of backlash when you move from forward to reverse gears". Is this likely to be the diff or the auto box?

He also says "I'm not convinced that the air distribution control works - the lever moves up and down but I can't feel air coming from the demister vents"

Easy enough to fix?

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

Bad form to reply but this would be the car in question. I've agreed a price, I just want a bit more info if possible before I buy it now!

Cheers Mike

Reply to
Mike P

This phrase alone would put me off:

'I have only had this car for a few months and I haven't used it much - nevertheless, I have still managed to spend a load of cash on it!!'

which translates as:

'I've had it a few weeks and now realised that it's a money pit and I can't be arsed getting it up to a usable standard. I'm cutting my losses and going to find one for a few hundred quid more that doesn't have so many 'issues''

Reply to
SteveH

Yeah, he's admitted as such. "I started to work on it but lost the will to live..." was his comment. Seems like its usuable, the interior is pretty bad but it runs and it's not a rot box. I'm wondering if it would be ok as a project more than serious everyday transport.

On the other hand there is always

which I used to own and have been considering buying it back..

Mike P

Reply to
Mike P

Could be diff mountings, etc. They fail with age - and were very expensive to replace when I had one as they were hens teeth. Couldn't really be the auto, IMHO. But it's easy enough to check diff backlash. Could also be universals.

The heater is pretty straightforward with all linkages external.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The bit that would worry me is that he doesn't seem to be mentioning the condition of the base unit at all...

Reply to
Timo Geusch

I'd lift the carpets at the sides and check the floor to sills condition. Also poke the sills (inside car) at either ends close to the floor. Check the bottoms of the door posts - especially the D post bottoms. See if the jacking points work - if they do it'll be a first on one this age. Check also where the upper arms on the rear suspension are fixed to the inside rear wing - remove the rubber covering in the boot for this.

There will likely be repairs to some or all - judge how well they've been done.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You haven't made it clear whether you're buying blind or will be inspecting the car first. To me, it certainly looks worth a visit.

Assuming your offer is a bit lower than the 750 he was asking, it'd be hard to go far wrong unless that MOT's a dodgy one. After all, you could always list it back on eBay again in a couple of months and probably get your money back. While an MOT won't cover all the potential rot in the base unit, it should mean that it's not an absolute basket case.

Further to everyone else's suggestions, I'd advise having a _very_ close look at that sunroof. A Webasto would be lovely on one of these, but only if it's in good condition. You could be looking at 300quid or more to refurbish a knackered one.

As for the seller's comments about the amount he's spent on it, that could just be because he's got used to Morris Minor prices. P6 bits are a _lot_ more expensive, partly because there's so little competition between suppliers.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke