transfer box questions

Hi all are the transfer box's interchangeable between 200 300 series 110 90 disco, I suspect mine is about to collapse, (r380 retro fitted to early 110) at pay and play yesterday and got stuck, stuck my head out the window for a look 1 front wheel spinning but no drive to rear, prop just twitching a bit (diff lock engauged) got recovered, set off driving and a clunk came from g/box area then everything seemed ok drive to rear returned . Thought bettter call it a day and go home before something terminal occured on returning to tarmac there is an occasional clunk from g/box area but the most noticable oddness is occasional pullinng and tightness in steering (feels like driving series in frontwheel drive when you bust an half shaft) my thoughts are centre diff buggering about (appolagies for technical terms) Any thoughts/advise welcomed

Thanks in advance Icky

Reply to
icky

Not just the linkage(s) out of adjustment/loose/disconnected allowing transfer box to wander about between locked/unlocked/neutral etc

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Hi,

The transfer boxes have different ratios. V8 Rangie and V8 Disco is (I think) 1.1:1, Disco Tdi is and defender 90's are I think 1.2:1, and

110's are 1.43:1. I found this information on the web in the past, so I would advise checking with a Google.

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Cheers

latest developements are: lost drive, front prop spinning nowt happenning, suspect cv joint (this would tie in with steering wierdness) Engauge diff lock and regained drive for a few yards then clatering noises from g/box area no drive again, forced diff lock lever over a bit further constantlly applying pressure got drive again for few miles then more clattering and no go at all no matter how hard i push the lever, I suspect a new transfer box is in order but you never no it might just be something worn that is not allowing diff lock to engauge fully gonna have look tommorrow see whats happenning, hopefully fixing cv joint will get me mobile again and i can sort diff lock probs later any thoughts on this would be welcome

Reply to
icky

Yes, sounds like my 110 when the left CV joint went.

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart Gray

It turned out to be front diff totally marmalized, should be back on the road this morning if the transfer box runs ok I suspect front diff damage was caused by the diff lock jumping in and out creating snatching effect through the transmission hey ho shouldnt go playing I supose

Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky

Further poking about has revieled the diff lock is not engauging correctly due to wear in all the pivots and such on the linkage between lever and the box when the lever on the box was engauged by hand from underneath all seemed to be working correctly A bit a bodging next week and that should be sorted ( over sized clevis pins and I think an adjustable bit somewhere)

Cheers Icky

Reply to
icky