Citroen ZX Aura - no gears!

Any ideas? Driving along around 90mph roudn the M60 on Saturday afternoon, big metallic bang and no drive. Had a hairy time getting over to hard shoulder as no one seemed to realise that I was in trouble until I got down to about 40mph!!

Can't get any gears apart from a little grind somewhere near reverse! Lever not loose, linkage all looks to move correctly when lever is is moved.

AA man reckons gearbox internals - any other suggestions? All I know is that it started to jump out of 5th gear about 10 miles previously, and because I was only 20 miles from my destination I held it in gear with my knee..

Cheers Mike

If it's fsked, any offers on a 64K, 1991 J-Reg ZX 1.6 Aura? - Leccy windows, mirrors, sunroof. One elderly owner for most of it's life, FSH,

11Months MOT, 5 months tax. Good cond inside and out. No gears?

------------------------------------------------------------------------- Mike Pearson mike snipped-for-privacy@ntlworld.com Saab 900 T16 Aero

Reply to
Mike P

My Dad once had a driveshaft pop out of the gearbox on a Montego you can probably tell easilly whether this has happened on your car by looking at where the driveshafts go into the box. I think from your description it is probably new gearbox time especially since it was jumping out of 5th.

-- James

Reply to
James

Sheared the middle out the clutch plate?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

Shouldn't cause it to jump out of gear should it? I'd imagine it would just not be able to transmit the power?

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious

Sounds about right.

I remember a old Micra I had. The gearstick seemed to be coming further and further back, until it would go back past the handbrake in 4th and randomly jumped out of gear when you came off the power.

Turned out the rear engine mounting had snapped, and the donk had to be lifed back up into place!

Cheers

Dave P

Reply to
David Precious