Re: 'ere, a petition for you all to sign.

It is a myth!

The country is the United Kingdom, UK for short. The UK is by statute The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. Check in your passport if you don't believe me. Great Britain is correctly described above. NB there is no mention of Mainland UK at all. It is ficticious, it does not exist, it isn't, it if it wasn't nailed to the perch it would fall off! It is a connivance concocted by those too lazy to know any better, in particular the various courier companies who feel they need to surcharge carriage to Northern Ireland and have not the whit to describe it correctly. One would expect an part the UK government to know what constitutes the country and to correctly use the statutary description. I think there are specific laws about describing it incorrectly but these seem not to matter any more.

Now I understand what they mean by it but why must they invent a new name for it. Is it not a spade, why call it a shovel! It is Great Britain, NOT Mainland UK.

Anyway managed to register my acquisition this morning, curious, in spite of it being disowned by Swansea, it is not considered a first registration in Northern Ireland.

Reply to
GbH

GbH ("GbH" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Right, here y'go...

The fr "THIS SECTION CANNOT BE USED WHEN TRANSFERRING A VEHICLE BETWEEN GB AND NI. THIS _WILL NOT_ PRODUCE A REGISTRATION CERTIFICATE" The capitals and underlining are THEIR emphasis, not mine.

The back of section 11 - Permanent Export - says "Transfers between GB and NI must be notified to the appropriate licencing authority"

The instructions are quite clear that any export - which it seems fairly emphatic that GB to NI is - should see the main bit of the V5C handed to the new owner and the purple section 11 sent back to DVLA.

I fail to see how it could be much clearer, really.

Reply to
Adrian

Them bits were no longer with the V5 I had. The back of all I had was in Welsh!

Reply to
GbH

GbH ("GbH" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

So what bit DID you get?

Reply to
Adrian

SFAIR the V5C, the bit with all the vehicular details, as space for the new keeper, me, couple of of signature boxes, that's about all, can't check because DVLNI (Belfast) kept it, assuring me I would get a new one in the post.

Quite why they cannot exchange the information without me having to copy it longhand onto a duplicate piece of paper for them to type into some blackhole escapes me. Mind you their capacity for losing information on transfer is legendary these days, so maybe it is better that we remain in the mid 19th century? At least they've progressed beyond cleft stick technology, now using the penny post! Mind you they still haven't grasped the concept of the credit card, progress there has reached the heady heights of debit cards. The gentleman checking that forms are filled in right @ front of house couldn't grasp the concept that he should take note of my comments and cause action on them rather than me fill in a complaints form. He is the face of DVLNI, IT IS his job to respond to his customers!! I guess he'll be out of one soon enough. I'm led to believe Coleraine will be assimilated by 2009!

Reply to
GbH

GbH ("GbH" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Just a single double-sided page?

Front is a title page, back has the details on?

Reply to
Adrian

No back had same as front but in Welsh.

Reply to
GbH

GbH ("GbH" ) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Fuck knows what it was, then, but it doesn't sound like the half of the V5C you should have been given.

Reply to
Adrian

It wasn't awfully helpful in terms of instructions! I think Swansea could have been more useful since they saw it all! 'You done it wrong' is not awfully helpful!

Reply to
GbH

I suppose technically "Mainland UK" excludes the Isle of Wight, Anglesey and all the Islands off Scotland. That could make registration awkward in such places.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Of course the IoM and the Channel Isles are not part of the UK!

Reply to
GbH

Nor the Isle of Sheppy nor Eel Pie Island, not so sure about Thanet or Ely.

Reply to
GbH

I was rather pissed off to read the other day (in Wikipedia, so it may not be true) that Anglesey is now technically regarded as part of the mainland. Thomas Telford and Robert Stephenson have a lot to answer for.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Where was that, then? I don't see it. It says it's part of Great Britain, but that's not synonymous with the British Mainland.

Reply to
Ian Dalziel

Ah, neither do I any more. Perhaps I was dreaming...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

I had a holiday on the Isle of Sheppey with my parents as a young child. I didn't realise until now that it was my first trip "abroad"!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren