refurbing door seals on a "soon to be/modern" classic.

OK, so not strickly a true classic yet, but I'm sure in a few years all the GT4 models will be, even though it is Japanese.

It has a problem. Although the door seals are in very good condition, it is a frameless door design. It lets in a lot of wind noise.

Ironically to worst area isn't arround the windows, but at the lower leading edge of the door (I can feel the breeze blowing up between the door card and the dash trim) like I have a vent open but they are all shut.

I know that it is likley to be because the rubber has been pushed back by the door millions of times over 15 years, and replacement will be the only answer in the end, but as both sides need doing, and a pair of door seals is several hundred pounds from Toyota and a secondhand set is likely to be as bad, I'm hoping that someone has found a miracle seal dressing/renovator that will breath a little life tired seals and swell them, without turning them into a nasty sticky mess.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

It was somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Sleeker GT Phwoar saying something like:

Grimly Curmudgeon

wow, quite a selection. unfortunatley nothin glike what I need.

Very hard to describe, but it isn't the same width all the way along, and is moulded to shape, about 3/4" at the front of the door, to 1.5" where the door corner is, then flattens out to about 1/2" down the vertical drop. All this is attached to the body frame rather than to the door. hence why I was looking for a dressing/restorer/rejuvinator.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

in which case you need Edgeware Rubber,

HTH.

Reply to
Chris Bolus

I'll give them a looksee too, cheers, but I don't reckon the car is old enough yet, or common enough to have mass produced relacement sets yet.

I've been told that giving them a gentle squeeze across the flattest side plumps them up for quite a while, and I don't suppose autoglymm rubber cleaner/treatment can hurt them. A good clean would do them good anyway.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

I dont know about 'swelling' them but you can improve old rubber by cleaning with hot soapy water to remove any dirt, dry off, then dressing liberally with Johnsons baby oil. Works great on perished wiper blades to get you an MOT ticket so gotta be worth a try.

If you instal new rubbers, lightly cover them with talcum powder as its ultra fine grains act as a dry lubricant as they bed in. Use the correct seal adhesive like 3M (not the remains of a can of 'no more nails' etc) & shut the door while it bonds overnight.

Good luck!

Reply to
dave thacker

It does so because it rots the rubber thereby softening it (back to the reasons for not using it with condoms... ;-)

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Might give that a go. They are very dry looking. I found that Squeezing them back into a more round shape has definatley helped, but cleaning and "Oiling" can't hurt if I'm careful.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar

F*ckwad, do yourself a favour...see your local STD clinic, and take your scabby boyfriend too.

Reply to
luguis menf

I seem to remember an old recommendation was to use glycerine to lubricate rubber seals

Mike

Reply to
Mike Phipps

Cheers I'll look into that. Haven't gotten round to sorting it yet. Needed a new exhaust last weekend, but thank got the nights are lighter, more chance to do the smaller jobs like washing and polishing.

Reply to
Sleeker GT Phwoar