New door seals..

1986 90 2.5 petrol hardtop.

About to renew the front door seals, the bottom ones are pop riveted into place, not having a pop rivet gun which is the best to get considering I doubt it will be used for much else, perhaps some body panels IDC, and what sort of pop rivets do I need for the seals?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Rivet guns are cheap as chips, less than £20 for a cheapie for occasional use, and rivets are £10 for 250 or so. As for the size, look at the diameter of the holes left by the rivets you remove, look at the depth needed to get through the two materials to be joined, then guesstimate another 5mm or so and get that length. I get them from here usually;

Aluminium and mild steel probably best for riveting into aluminium.

When I get some in I usually get three different sizes around the size I want, just in case I get it wrong and also because it's always handy to have a selection of different sizes. For example I recently ordered 6.4mm diameter by 16mm, 22mm and 30mm lengths. I need 16mm,

22 is hedging bets, and 30mm is just for kicks.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Is it worth getting sealed pop rivets for this location ? Then that manky bit of steel won't set anything off.

Steve

Reply to
steve

No idea but the sealed ones don't cost much more for the quantity IIRC so might be worth it if they're available with aluminium jackets. Bear in mind they're only sealed at one end so the steel bit is still there and exposed.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Yes they are available in aluminium, and at least you could always drop a bit of 'poxy in the end of the snapped off stud.

Steve

Reply to
steve

But the ones in there look to have an extra wide head so it doesn't pull through the rubber, are these available in ally?

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Fit a washer?

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

there and exposed.

If they're 3/16 (4.9mm) shanks I have a several thousand of 'em - you're welcome to a handful. Big head versions are usually available off the shelf - also try a caravan parts shop

Steve

Reply to
steve

Thanks Steve and all, I'll have a look and see what's around. Friend is a Sheet Metal worker and when I mentioned it says he can get the correct rivets but I would rather get them myself, he makes enough bits for me already out of SS or aircraft grade ally.

Nightmare this morning round here, F & M caused so many roads I wanted to use to be closed and about the only one open they then closed for road works, putting chippings down! Couldn't it have waited a day or two? Traffic backed up from Chertsey almost to the M25. Looks like at least some are open again this evening.

Reply to
Bob Hobden