Registration Numbers

I was trying to find the website that tells me which councils issued which registration letters, but Google was useless, flooding me with people who want to trade cherished plates.

So can someone please remind me of the site?

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Indy Jess John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Two of the first three hits for "Uk registration area"

Adrian

On 27/09/2010 07:48, Adrian wrote: > Two of the first three hits for "Uk registration area" >

Letters.aspx

Many thanks. The first one was what I had been looking for, but I have now bookmmarked both of them.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

There were some changes in 1974 (I suppose some areas were running low) - as an example FG was originally allocated to Fife but was then reallocated to Brighton.

This .txt file shows both 1961 and 1974 - as well as post 2001

sweller

Thanks. I have saved a copy for future reference.

What I was trying to look up was pre-1974, but it is good to have the complete picture if I need it in future.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Alan

Reply to
Roberts

Thanks. I have edited that into my saved text file.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

The file shows a '?' in front of 1974 but while I can't remember when the change was the Local Government reorganisation of 1974 is a likely date for a switch away from County and County Borough designations to a lesser number of Office locations.

There are a number of other switches that involve some distance (Bradford to Sheffield for instance) but none that I can see than that can match Fife to Brighton.

Memory can play funny tricks but ISTR that some of the county designations were originally county boroughs. My father's first car was a DNO and I remember NO as a Colchester registration rather than an Essex one. The 1964 Essex set-up seems out of keeping with most of the other counties. All the Essex letters bar the Southend set are just Essex.

Reply to
Roger Chapman