Rover 75 Tourer

OK, it's not a classic (yet) by a long stretch, but there aren't exactly millions of them about and I bet they'll be clasics in years to come...

So, I'm pretty upset to hear that now my father's Rover 75 estate has been inconveniently written off by a large deer somewhere on the road from Owler Bar and Sheffield, he's looking for a replacement estate car. More importantly, he can't really spare the time to hunt for a replacement 75 or wait for one to appear on the market.

Why a Rover 75 estate? Because it's one of only four or five (we reckon) estate cars - and by a *long* way the best of them - that one can actually fit a harpsichord into with the the rear seats and front passenger seat down fully flat. The other cars are a Vauxhall Astra estate (which he tried and said "felt cheap and handled like suet pudding"), a Skoda estate and a bloody VW Passat. Ugh. The only half-decent British-made contender was something by Toyota which it transpired had a load area exactly one-inch too short. Other cars such as Volvo estates aren't as big inside as they might seem to be, and other cars (Mondeo estate) are both not nice and actually *too* big to fit in the garage!

Well, there you go. If anyone knows of a (manual, under 100k miles) and preferably not in silver) high-spec Rover 75 estate for sale anywhere not too far from postcode S17, please drop me a quick line so I can persuade him not to buy some other rubbish!

Michael (at mkilpatrickcouk)

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

I suspect that you will find that the Rover was written off by whoever was driving it at the time. I bet they didn't do the deer much good either.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I suspect you'll find that you can't swerve out of the way or do much about anything when a large deer suddenly appears in the road in the middle of the night!

You might as well argue that it's the driver who writes a car off if he happens to be sitting in it whilst it's parked up by the kerb, and a tree falls onto it with no warning.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Actually, *I'd* argue that it was the insurance company that wrote it off. Your dad just hit a deer and damaged it.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Well, indeed, I was just thinking about that earlier, after my last posting. The "writing off" is purely the act of an underwriter, but has come to be synonymous with the act of damage to the insured property that results in that action. "Writing off" in the insurance sense is entirely a choice of free will after consideration of various financial consequences, whereas an (unavoidable) deer, "act of God" etc, is beyond the control of the insured (unless they were driving without due care and attention to something which could and should have been avoided).

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

And so, sometimes it can be that one can cost-effectively repurchase and repair one's older car that has been deemed to be, and paid as, a total loss by one's insurer. This worked really well for me one time, but I don't think it's the general rule. If it's a car that you know well though, then it might me worth considering, if it's not too late.

Reply to
Dean Dark

My father has decided he hasn't got the time or energy for that sort of thing. No doubt the owner of a valuable classic would view the matter differently.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

You can if you're not driving like a tit.

Reply to
Steve Firth

I was wondering when you were going to show up.

Reply to
Dean Dark

Michael Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

It really does depend on the amount of damage. An older car can be written off on financial grounds very, very easily - insurers will only use the manufacturer's published new parts prices and tend to be charged higher labour rates by bodyshops than private customers.

Then there's the actual value for the vehicle - an insurer will often use a lower threshold than the owner might ascribe, especially when you take into account the hassle-factor of having to change car when you don't actually want to.

If you're happy for good used panels to be used, the bill can be reduced dramatically, and make a repair viable.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't know why you feel the need to make such a stupid and pointless remark. You think you can swerve out of the way of a deer that appears

10ft in front of you, even if you're only doing 50mph on a 60mph road?

Of course, if my father had been "driving like a tit" and going closer to (or even faster than) the speed limit, he would, rather perversely, have been past the point of the incident at the time the deer chose to leap out.

If your first reaction to something in front of you is *immediately* to automatically swerve to avoid it, then good luck to you. I await reports of your being crushed under an oncoming lorry whilst swerving to avoid a stoat. Or killing pedestrians on the other side of the road (or your side).

Get real.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Michael Kilpatrick gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Umm, I know the Owler Bar road fairly well (between Totley Rise & Dore), and can't think of many stretches where there's no cover for the deer to hide in before it just suddenly "appear" in the road...

Reply to
Adrian

I used to drive a chap around, and he would reason that if I couldn't stop before a solid brick wall appeared instantly in front of us, only by magic, I was driving too fast. It's quite tiresome trying to explain, so I didn't bother after a few times. He couldn't drive, but I think that was only part of his confusion.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

Ugh, blimey. If it's pitch-black in the middle of the night and the animal approaches quickly from the side, it is only visible in your headlights for a second or two at the most - whether it emerges from woodland or from completely open heath.

Michael

Reply to
Michael Kilpatrick

Don't worry, he only responds after closing time.

GMacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Would you be saying the same if it had been a cyclist, police officer, child... Hmmm?

We have more deer around these parts than seems feasible for the amount of land. We also have badgers and assorted other mobile landscape features. In other parts where I drive the scenery is livened up by the presence of porcupines, wild boar, wolves and bear.

So far I've manager to avoid slamming into any of them, even when they have jumped into the road just a few feet from my car.

But then again I tend to look through the bit of glass in front of my face while I'm driving.

Reply to
Steve Firth

But then again, again, the truth is that you've just been lucky so far.

Or are you saying that you're *absolutely* certain that you're never, ever, going to hit anything at all with your car, no matter what?

Reply to
Dean Dark

I'm certain that I haven't written off a car by hitting an animal in the road yet. Which put me one step ahead of your relatives. As to the future, sure if deer develop the ability to dematerialise and reappear instantly in the middle of a road I may be caught out.

I note you skirted around the issue of what would have happened if the animal had been human.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Have you looked on ebay? I put in a search string "Rover 75 estate" and there are a few of them. I picked some at random:

However, I don't know what you are looking for - there are "Connoisseur" models, "Club" models etc and whether that makes a difference to the internal space I don't know. Also ebay conveniently lists them in order of distance from my home address, and I didn't want to undo that default to look for S17.

Anyway, the idea is there for what it is worth. I bought a nice Morris Minor on e-bay a couple of years ago at a bargain price, so there are some genuine bargains out there.

Jim

Reply to
Indy Jess John

Indy Jess John gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying:

Or just look on Autotrader. There's ~260 R75 tourers & ~160 MG ZT-Ts (same car, different badge & slightly firmer suspension) listed at the mo, nationally - about a hundred of which (similar split) are within 100 miles of S17.

Reply to
Adrian