Removing 1st gear from mainshaft of OD Spit?

Wow, my tranny rebuild has come off to a hellish start.

There's no way in hell I've been able to just tilt & ease out the mainshaft and I'm done. Nope, things got in the way. No clearance.

So, with that in mind, how do you get the 1st gear off the mainshaft? It slides a bit as it should, but it stops when you get to the mainshaft part where splines start up again. Yet, the diameter of the splines seems to be similar to what it's riding on right now.

Ugh, this is hell.

And I can't remove things the other way due to the chuck key thing that drives the overdrive cam.

Reply to
S1500

usually you free the layshaft first

Reply to
mrcheerful

As Mr Cheerful said, you need to drop the laygear first, but I guess you must have done that or you wouldn't have any movement. If you haven't, push out the layshaft and let the laygear drop into the bottom of the 'box.

It's a while since I did mine, but IIRC, I drifted out the input shaft bearing first, which lets the input shaft slide forwards a bit, giving enough room for a drift to push out the mainshaft bearing. This loosened it up enough to remove the input shaft. Can't remember what came next, but I distinctly remember Haynes being very wrong about the process. The shaft had to come out from the opposite side to what they suggest.

No, there's a stop on the mainshaft so it can only be built up from one direction.

I can clearly remember removing the overdrive cam. Couldn't have done it without. Isn't there just a Woodruff key holding an eccentric cam? I think I just drifted the cam off by hitting it lightly with a nammer and chisel. The speedo drive had to come off to of course. This was a Vitesse gearbox with Dolomite bits, but I'd have thought the design would be the same.

Good luck!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Sounds like you want a BL workshop manual - essential for working on any car like this. They give full overhaul procedures for everything unlike the Haynes 'take it to your dealer' crap.

Generally, you have to remove the layshaft first so the laygear drops to the bottom of the housing. After removing circlips etc you drift the third motion shaft forwards which pushes out the first motion shaft. When that's out, collect any bearing between the two and remove the third motion shaft. There's often some form of plungers to restrict first gear forward motion on the third motion shaft (non synchro type) - after that is off the others come free.

Dunno what you mean by a chuck key. Most common type of removable drive is a Woodruff key. This is may be drifted out.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Just found a photo I took when I had mine apart:

think you can see that the spined part is wider than the rest of the shaft to the left. This is why the gear on the left there has to be slid off that side rather than passed right along the shaft.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

(s1500 = Big Teebo. Posting at work).

Gotcha. After I made the initial post, I did a rough measurement of the frontmost splines across the "gap". It is indeed a larger diameter on those splines. So I won't be taking that forward route to take the first gear out.

The layshaft shaft is indeed out, with the gears nicely resting at the bottom, with front row seats to all this madness.

The reverse shaft & gear are also out. The mainshaft now has just the bearing and (big)1st gear, a washer, and that's it. And still, not quite enough to get any clearance to get the shaft out.

That's correct. I looked to see what was holding it onto the mainshaft, but I couldn't come up with any sort of conclusion. All the pictures and sketches I've seen of mainshafts don't show the cam whatsoever. For indeed, the mainshaft looks different for an OD transmission, unless I'm looking at it wrong.

Here's a picture of the mainshaft in the question from an earlier point in the dismantling.

So, what's the exact procedure for safely removing the woodruff key? My first impression was with a blowtorch to heat up the ring/key, thus expanding it out, and it slide it out. Of course I'd have a machine shop or tranny shop do that so I wouldn't break it.

Ugh.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll overcome this obstacle yet. Heck, if I can get that dang inward snap-ring out(combined total of 3 hours of work) without the special tool, I feel now that I can do everything.

Reply to
british1500

Tap one end with a soft drift and hammer. Brass is ideal, but a bit of decent hardwood or plastic might work. The woodruff key is curved where you can't see it and any movement fore or aft will force it upwards since it fits in a matching 'slot'.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Have you removed that snap-ring thing that shows clearly in the photo holding the cam in place? With that out of the way, the cam ring should just slide off (with a few taps) leaving the Woodruff key in place. The key is only stopping the cam rotate - it's that ring which stops if sliding off.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Not bad advice, especially as Triumph manuals (Heralds & Spits at least) are ten a penny.

OTOH The Haynes Spitfire is excellent and gives full details of all 3 gearboxes and complete rebuilding instructions, down to the "machining needed" level. I presume (from the poster's email) that this is the last box, the all-synchro single-rail as fitted to the 1500.

My favourite Haynes is still the Alfasud. You really ought to read the dire warnings not to even _think_ of touching the gearbox on that! 8-)

If you don't have a Haynes Spit, then I just happen to be flogging one on eBay right now 8-) Bundled book of roadtests for free too!

That Woodruff key needs to come off the mainshaft. Then It's pretty easy AFAIR. I've not done a Spit of this ilk, just the Dolly 1850 which I recall is the same.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Ah - right. Of course earlier Haynes were a bit better. But all the ones I've ever owned have that magic phrase somewhere. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I do have both the Haynes & Bentley manual, but, well, I wanted to be sure of things for a replacement mainshaft is not cheap.

Reply to
S1500

The transmission(OD aside) is fully apart. That was easier than I thought. Oh well. Better to ask on USENET than break anything. Thanks.

This clean-up work on the parts is going to take forever.

Reply to
S1500

Hi, Just overhauled my Spitfire 1500 overdrive box and took photos of each stage of the operation. If its any use I could email you copies of photos and explanations. At face value from what you are indicating, once you have removed the speedo cam, spring clip and woodruff key, the main bearing / thrust washer etc, should slide off, followed by first gear. Slightly puzzled as to your problem? Could you start again with a clearer explanation of the problem - using Haynes should help descriptions?

Regards, Tom

Reply to
Tom Sharrocks

The problem was between the user & keyboard(myself). I didn't know you could drift out the chuck(for the OD cam pump thing), and now the whole transmission is dismantled. I still have a few things left on the OD, but I have a game plan.

Yes, I am interested in seeing your photos. I'm still snapping away at photos of my dismantling process for notes on reassembly. snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net

Reply to
S1500