Rover V8 implant

Hey Guys,

I was just curious if any readers have attempted a Rover V8 implant into a Herlad. If so, what can you tell me about it.

TIA,

G.

Reply to
Gavin Edwards

"Gavin Edwards" realised it was Mon,

15 Dec 2003 01:38:50 -0000 and decided it was time to write:

Yippee

Perhaps the main problem would be the final drive - the Rover produces a lot of torque.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

This can be sorted by fitting the diff from a Datsun or Subaru as described by one of my favourite nutters here:

I reckon a Vauxhall Carlton diff could also be made to fit, and have kept a LSD one + drive shafts which I might try one day, though I suppose I'd better check the ratio first!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Not all Vauxhall Carlton's had Limited Slip Diffs. You sure it is LSD?

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Yes. Turn one shaft and the other turns in the same direction. This was on a base model 1.8 estate with no other obvious modifications, which rather puzzled me. Perhaps it had once lived somewhere snowy.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Hi Gavin, What are you intending to do about the halfshafts? The standard items won't withstand the torque for very long.

I know the Rover unit is light, but I would doubt that it's lighter than the Herald unit which is hardly heavy. Anyone got relative figures?

I would argue that point, vertical links are prone to snapping at the top of the threaded portion, usually because previous owners have greased rather than oiled, or more often than not, done neither! The Vitesse uprights use a thicker stub axle which you may find beneficial.

Clearances around the bulkhead are quite generous, so I suspect not too much cutting here. Cheers, Bill.

-- Rarebits4classics .......just what you've been looking for

PO Box 1232 Calne Wiltshire SN11 8WA United Kingdom

William Davies

Thanks guys.

I have spent ages searching for something similar on the web, but no one has really listed their problems etc. I was planning on using either a Datsun rear end or a ford 9" as there are plenty of them about.

My main concerns are the steering and if there are any tried and test ways of rerouting the steering joints to clear the headers and the block. I don't intend on modifying the chassis as the engine will be lighter than the door stop that is in it currently, and front suspension on the heralds are bullit proof! I am looking forward to chopping chunks of the bulkhead and the rear tub to get things to fit, though!

Regards,

G.

Reply to
Gavin Edwards

Think you'll find it's heavier with accessories - assuming you have a standard Herald engine. It's nearer the all up weight of an MGB unit.

Reply to
Dave Plowman

How does one get these insured?

Reply to
James H

Hmm. Interesting..... The 1.8 never had a LSD. Mind you, somebody may have fitted it, the gearing is the same across the range IIRC. Interestingly I have a 3.0 12v Estate which doesn't have the LSD. Although it will shortly be having all the suspension changed for later Senator stuff, and the diff will be changed as well.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Not sure what a herlad is exactly, but reckon I wouldn't want to implant anything at all into one! ;-)

Ciao

Zak

Searchable database of 10 000+ car specsAuctioning motoring-related items at eBay?

Zak McGregor