SORN failed to register

Hi Folks,

I took my DS off the road at the end of October and applied for a tax refund with a V14, on which I also declared SORN. I know they got it, because I have had the refund, but I have just had a letter from Continuous Licensing saying that the vehicle is neither taxed nor sorned and demanding forty quid plus the tax.

Has anyone else had this experience? I am proposing just to send the letter back with details of how and when SORN was declared on the back and in a covering letter - should this be enough?

Ian

Reply to
Ian

You can only try..

Reply to
Conor

I think they might have had a database corruption. A couple of days ago I got a letter from them confirming that they have updated their records to show that I have disposed of one of my cars - only I didn't tell them that, and I have still got the car.

I telephoned their advice line and they told me to write back to the person who sent the letter saying it was a mistake on his part, which I have done. I am waiting for a reply....

So you have got nothing to lose by complaining about the missing SORN. Keep copies of everything - in your case they want money from you, so it might be a longer fight.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I got a similar letter over Christmas - though for once it was justified, I had forgotten to declare SORN. I recall that the letter gave the option that you could argue the case if you believed you were in the right, but warned that it was an offence to give incorrect information.

As you have done the required stuff in all good faith (and you'd expect that receiving the refund would be proof enough) I'd say you just give them the details and let them sort it out.

Mike.

Reply to
Mike Edwards

Letter back today...

Dear Mr Johnston

I refer to the late licensing penalty requested from you for failing to relicense your vehicle as required.

Having investigated our records I can confirm that you did complete the Statutory Off Road Notification (SORN) correctly on submitting a refund application for your vehicle excise duty.

I am sorry that this declaration was not recorded when it was received and apologise for any inconvenience that you may have been caused, The record will now be updated correctly and the case closed.

Yours sincerely

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Result! I am still waiting for a reply to my complaint. I did get a new V5c through the post, but no explanation, no apology, not even a With Complements slip. I will give them a couple more weeks then politely ask whether they received my earlier letter...

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

It has now arrived. Apparently, they wrongly created a "disposal" input from a letter from my insurer that they should just have filed.

Says a lot for their staff job training, doesn't it!

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

I don't know about £40 but I would even own up to owning a DS ! Hideous piece of french dihorreah, you must be 'hard up' not even a classic

Reply to
Dr F.G. Manner-Moore

Hi Ian,

I too had the same experience a while back, I contacted them via email and gave them the information of where and when etc etc... it was enough, and I received a letter through the post apologising.

Hope this helps

Dotty

Reply to
ANDRIEA BUTLER

Yes. I SORNed a car last November using the web site. I got an email confirmation, but no written confirmation.

Last week I got the same letter demanding the fine and tax. The reply form allowed for the car already having been taxed or sold, but not that it was already SORNed. I sent it back suitably amended along with a printout of the confirmation message. I await their response.

Reply to
Richard Porter

Taste in cars as good as your spelling, I see.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I've now got a letter telling me that they intend to take no further action, but no apology.

Reply to
Richard Porter