tax and mot

with a few questions being raised about the legality of dodgy tax discs and the mentions of mots etc I need a question answered by the likes of you orrible lot who seem to know a trick or 2 :)

my tax ran out last November my insurance started last December the mot is due to run out in may when I pick up my car in a few weeks can I get the car back home along the motorway as long as I pay tax for the month in which I drove it on the road?

I don't want to get screwed over for driving it with no tax, but at the same time I need to have the mot when I buy the tax the mot runs out out before the car will be ready so I need to get it remot'd before I pick it up (which it will be)

so do I just take my old mot and insurance docs to the post office, along with the log book and buy tax from next month or drive it home and THEN get it with the fresh ticket on it?

seems simple enough but what happens if the car ain't ready? I've already sent back tax twice because the cars been broken about 2 weeks after I taxed it so I don't want to lose even more money on it now

or is it not worth the risk?

Reply to
dojj

In article , snipped-for-privacy@fsnet.co.uk spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

If the old ticket is still valid, it with your MOT and insurance and tax it.

If the old ticket is out, book an MOT closer to home than the garage (must be pre-booked) drive it from the garage to the MOT station legally, once you have the MOT, take it to the post office (leave the car at the MOT station), buy the tax, go back to the MOT station, put tax in car, then drive home legally.

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

if its the back roads and you go to a post office in a village i'd would risk it. i mot'd my car 3 months before it was due :( stupid at the time although sure it gave me 3 months to make repairs. but i wasted whatever amount it was.

Reply to
Joe

No. You can drive the car to and from an arranged MoT test, without tax, but you can't keep / drive the car on the road without tax (or MoT) for any other reason.

You can drive the car when the tax has expired, for up to 14 days, so long as you have applied for the tax to be renewed from the day the tax expired, which the DVLA site stresses is a privilege, not a right. So in that sense, you can backdate tax if it means it is continuously taxed even though the disc you have, has run out.

The only way to do this, is to drive the car to the MoT testing station where you have arranged the test, this is legal with only insurance. Even if it fails the MoT, providing the car isn't dangerous, you can then drive it back home from the MoT test also legally.

If you have to drive the car home to work on it for the MoT, then you have to trailer it, or do the expensive alternative, have the MoT, find out what needs doing, do the work, and then go for a retest. This won't work if the car is dangerous and won't be allowed back on the road for the drive back, but then it shouldn't be on the road anyway, permitted or not.

Sorn if you are intending not to drive the car, too easy otherwise for them to send the fines round. Very unwise to drive the car under Sorn, except as permitted. I dunno what you get if caught, but I bet it is more serious than "driving with no tax".

As the MoT hasn't yet run out, you could get tax now, as you say, and claim back what remains if the car then isn't worth MoTing. Quite honestly, 80 quid tax for six months and whatever you can recover, isn't too expensive. The MoT is something like half that cost, just to find out it's not worth repairing. Any fine you get will be much more, I would think, not counting the "insurance clause" if you run someone over without tax, and other consequences like getting caught out a few years later and finding the fine is quadrupled for a second offence, etc.

Reply to
Sales!

not no more you can't

Reply to
ß Ø ® G

which is why I would rather get this straight before the emot runs out ;)

Reply to
dojj

cheeky feeker :)

Reply to
dojj

Yes you can, provided, as I said, you have applied for the new license to run from the day the previous one expired:

"If your licence has just expired you may continue to use your vehicle for up to 14 days after its expiry as long as you have applied for a new licence that must run from the day after the last one expired. This 14-day period of grace is a concession. By law, you must display a current licence at all times the vehicle is in use."

Direct from the DVLA website:

Sales!

In article , snipped-for-privacy@bargain-pricings.com spouted forth into uk.rec.cars.modifications...

That would be as in a genuine "Tax is in post" situation?

Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Well with my Fiesta van, which I bought with MOT but no tax or logbook (they'd lost it) I went down the post office and got a V10 form, filled it in and kept in it the van with me. Got pulled over 3 times in all, and the

2nd time I got pulled over the cop did a vehicle check which revealed that it hadn't had a registered keeper for 2 years. Some time between then and the 3rd time I found out from the DVLA that I actually could tax it with the V62 (+ the £19 fee they now charge) instead of the logbook at a DVLA local office, as it didn't have a current registered keeper (a loophole).

Anyway, in short, the fact that I had the form already filled in, for the tax to start at the beginning of March (I got it half way through March) seemed to count for a lot, and apart from a producer I didn't have any problems regarding the lack of tax.

So get a V10 and fill it in, and you should get away with it, though personally for the sake of 1 month's tax @ £13.75 I'd just get it taxed as of now, before the current MOT runs out, just to avoid the hassle of potentially getting a producer.

Peter

Reply to
AstraVanMan