Strange electrical problem

Thanks to everybody. I have attempted to post replies to individual messages, but for some reason my News Server is losing them. Let's see if this third attempt shows up! I am going to take the alternator off for a close look at the weekend.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Warren

Think topology, not geography. It doesn't matter what the distance is, just that it's "downstream" of the thin and resistive link from alternator to major loads.

Pretty pointless on an alternator, unless it's one of Lucas' undersized ACR units. Out of interest, where was it placed ? In the battery connection (most likely), the alternator feed or the load ?

A voltmeter is a much better indicator of "Is the system working ?" and an alternator should always be working. A dynamo, OTOH, may have required some active driver management (turn off the heated window and the fog lamps when idling) to keep current flow positive.

Starter doesn't matter too much - it's the headlamp load that's the usual problem.

Don't go near the warning light on an old Lucas. The bulb is a functional part of the regulator circuit and even changing its rating will cause trouble.

Andy Dingley