Thermostat housing with temperture sensor fitting.

In the dim distant past I think I remember an A Series engined car with the temperature gauge sensor poking out of the thermostat housing. Anyone
remember what car it was fitted to - or a source of such a thing?
--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional

It wasn't the early ones. The Morris Minor, the A40 and the early Mini with the rubber cone suspension were not fitted with a temperature gauge. The 1957 Wolseley and Riley 1500 B Series had the sender in the cylinder head. So if your memory is right and there was an A series with a sensor, then I think you might be looking for a later model.
My guess is the Metro or Allegro, but I don't actually know.
Jim

The Sprite/Midget had a temperature gauge.
--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Nobody I knew owned one of those, so I never looked under the bonnet of one.
Hopefully someone else can join in and help you. I have gone as far as I can.
Have you had a look on e-bay? There might be someone breaking something that has the right fittings.
Jim

I did - but it's so long ago I can't remember where the sensor was. Did the A Series head have a 'flat' where the hole for the sensor might have gone on some versions? Same as the B Series?

Yup - I had a quick look. Just wondered if I could short circuit things by someone knowing what I was on about. ;-)
It's actually to fit injection (MegaSquirt) to a B Series. That requires its own two wire coolant sensor, so the idea was to put that where the gauge one goes and fit the gauge one elsewhere.
--
*You! Off my planet!

I have a vague memory of something similar on the Mini Clubman Special 1275 that my wife owned back in the 80s.
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I remember the same. I think it was on our V reg (1979?) Marina 1.3.

Is this it?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MORRIS-LEYLAND-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-MINI - WO16S-/150633592545?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23127636e1
http://tinyurl.com/btdlqky

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUSTIN-MORRIS-LEYLAND-THERMOSTAT-HOUSING-MINI-WO16S-/150633592545?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item23127636e1
That's the one. Thanks. And the pic helps - IIRC the fixing centres are the same on A Series and B Series.
Incidentally, perhaps the easiest way to do an Ebay link is this:-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/150633592545
--
*Sticks and stones may break my bones but whips and chains excite me*

You're welcome.
On Tue, 04 Sep 2012 15:43:42 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"

Marina
Grimly Curmudgeon wrote:

Well that's what I'd thought too, but reflecting on it I'm wondering if what I remembered as a sensor was actually the plastic cap fitted on those late Marinas with "sealed" systems and no conventional radiator cap.

Errrm I've already posted a link to the part. 1100cc Mini.
Steve Firth wrote:

I'm aware of that, but it doesn't mean that was the only application.