Towing dilemma

I'm heading off next weekend camping to a 2cv event, and it looks like I might be needed to do somebody a favour by bringing back a small (Brian James Minno, 375kg empty) car trailer.

No prob, I've got a towbar on the XM.

But I don't want to take the XM, I'd far rather take the Acadiane (Dyane van, with uprated suspension and a 450kg payload). That's got a towbar, too.

I'll be well within the GTW if I bring the trailer back on the back of that, BUT... It's hardly going to be inconspicuous. In fact, it's going to make any TrafPlod in the area do an immediate double-take.

What do I do? Thoughts, please.

The trip's going to be Huntingdon to Amersham. Not exactly just round the corner, but hardly cross-continent.

Reply to
Adrian

If the Acadiane is absolutely legal - good tyres, lights all work, etc. - then use it. One of my three stops (ever) was purely because I was towing an empty trailer, at night, in an area where trailers were going missing at an alarming rate. You may very well get stopped and checked out.

Car trailers are probably better for this though. I'd expect car trailers to travel more and be empty more often than a normal box trailer.

Reply to
PC Paul

PC Paul ( snipped-for-privacy@home.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

It is. But it's not the *prettiest* of things - the Dulux is peeling, and the edges of some panels are slightly brown-and-crinkly. Structurally, it's bloody superb, though.

The biggest roadside-MOT-problem I can think of is one headlight lens is cracked, but I'll hopefully get a replacement at the event.

It'll be mid-pm on Sunday. There'll be plenty of 2cvs on the road round Huntingdon, as there'll be 500 or so at the event.

Reply to
Adrian

I've never been stopped, even in those far-off days when I could afford to be a little less punctilious about observing the letter of the law. For instance, I collected an MG SA saloon and a Range Rover (separately!) on tiltbed trailers with an Astra van, making long, daytime, motorway journeys each time. I now, however, try to make sure I'm not going to be stopped for daft reasons like non-working lights, hanging straps, flapping loads, or marker-pen number plates, and that if I were to be stopped they'd find tyres and so on to be perfect.

Since you've actually got nothing to fear if you are stopped, I'd go for it - but I'd make sure the electrics work, use a proper number plate, and keep to the speed limits (60/50mph) (as if...)

Reply to
Autolycus

Autolycus ( snipped-for-privacy@mainbeam.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Bwahahahahaha - this is a 2cv van towing a car trailer. I think the speed limits can probably be treated as "ambitious targets".

Reply to
Adrian

"Ah, but a man's reach should exceed his grasp, Or what's a heaven for?" ?Robert Browning

Reply to
Autolycus

I wouldn't worry. It's summer. Trafplod are used to seeing old classics that look like sheds at this time of year.

Reply to
Conor

Conor ( snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Reply to
Adrian

Adrian,

Cant be any worse than a Bedford CA Dormobile "Debonair" Camper towing a four wheeled Ifor Williams full of Stationary Engines to Rally's every weekend. I use the A roads and stick to the limits not that you can go fast with a Ton in tow. Suprised we have not crossed paths as I live north eastish of Bedford.

Martin P

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Campingstoveman ( snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

The event's at Huntingdon, not me.

Reply to
Adrian

Don't drive anywhere near North Wales

Andy Dingley

thats why we have never crossed then, I'm travelling on Friday this weekend, dont want to be blocking the road from both ends do we :-))

Mart> Campingstoveman ( snipped-for-privacy@btopenworld.com) gurgled happily,

Reply to
Campingstoveman

Maybe a bit naive - after all, I am of the Doxon of Dick Green era - but why not go into your local nick and ask for advice? Then at least if you do get stopped you have at least shown initiative and put yourself on the side of the Good Guys.

I had this situation a while back when I needed to tow a Rolls 20 rolling chassis to a new home. No body, no engine, just a rolling chassis. Was it a trailer? A car? (in which case of course it had no MoT or insurance). The local police were incredibly helpful - they couldn't find the legal position in any of their reference books, so when it came to the day of the tow a Constabule turned up and sat next to me in the tow car. He freely admitted he was unsure of the strict legal position, but reckoned that if we were stopped, showing his warrant card would probably solve the problem. That's what I call good community policing.

Geoff MacK

Reply to
Geoff Mackenzie

Dunno if you're a R4 person, but they're running some of the original stories on Wednesday (today) at 11.30 AM. Nice period feel to them.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

original

Wish the BBC would repeat the TV series, 20:00 hrs mid-week time slot would be nice, seeing that isn't any police drama on at that time on main stream channels anymore - plenty of love-life and family-crises type soaps though.....

Grins, ducks and runs!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

No need since I agree with you. ;-) Still, a new broom has arrived so who knows what might happen?

FWIW, I doubt many 'Dixons' have survived. Most were live.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

R4 is the main thing I miss about not living in the UK. I can feel myself getting stupider every day

Reply to
Ben Blaney

Not available on satellite anywhere?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

original

Remember, if you have a high speed internet connection then you can listen via the web.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

family-crises

Now lets see, a senior officer shoots themselves and yet another Fire / Explosion at the Police Station by any chance?!..:~(

Reply to
:::Jerry::::