triumph herald 1200,,,,,,, Engine swap ?????

That'll teach him to look where he's going.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Saw an Impreza Turbo engine in the back of a Hillman Imp at a hillclimb once..

Reply to
Pete M

That's nice. I particularly like the way you can work on the engine with the vitesse. Hows the v8 fuelled? Doesn't look like the usual single plenum / injection arrangement but some sort of cylinder filter into a four barrel holley, does that work ok?

Reply to
antispam

If you're planning this for economy reasons, you're going to have to do an awful lot of miles to see any kind of return on the investment in the conversion. A Herald 1200 in good order will return 40mpg. If you decide to go for the Toyota engine suggested (lovely engine, I've thought about putting one in a Herald myself), don't forget that you will need to uprate the diff to cope with the increased torque going through it. The 13/60 had beefed up driveshafts to cope with that model's increased capacity, but there are all kinds of strengthened units available to cope with race prepared engines. All at a price though.... Cheers, Bill.

Bill Davies

To me the obvious answer to this is to get rid of the Herald and buy a Vitesse- all the benefits of the Herald plus that great 6 cylinder engine- just starting it up and listening to it is a pleasure in itself and it offers smooth and effortless performance even in it's early 1600 cc form.It will cost you a bit more in petrol though.

Reply to
mark woody

: Last I heard the price for non dirty hands Morris Minor/Marina/MG K16 : conversions were around £3k

I had my DS professionally converted to LPG for just over ?1,000. Fuel bills halved.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

And some trialists have used Skoda Transaxles and engines in the back of Imps too. Box can handle upto 150BHP gently used (day to day driver A roads motorways and arround town with a bit of fun thrown in), or about

100BHP of hooligan use (rallying extreme trackdays and drag racing) (crownwheel breaks, not the gears) and the engines can be tuned for 135bhp on carbs (more on throttle bodies) and still be day to day drivable.
Reply to
MeatballTurbo

Yes ..........But what an adrenelin pump,,,,,,,,,LOL

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

Yes but the engine looks expensive for a 130bhp Second hand

ENGINE: 4AGE PHASE THREE LATE LOW MILEAGE IMPORT Prices Engine including flywheel, starter, alternator bracket, distributor cover, studs etc. £540.00 To modify alternator bracket, provide and fit new cam belt and oil filter, block injector holes, fit and align clutch,clean and check . £50.00 Total £590.00

Then there is the CARBURATION KIT Prices Side draft inlet manifold £95.00 Fitting kit including all seals and gaskets £25.00 Twin 45's correctly jetted trumpets and linkage £420.00 Fuel regulator £20.00 TOTAL £560.00

Thats 1100£ just for the secondhand engine

Then there is

N.B. You will need a petrol tank with swirl pot fitted, injection pump, pressurized fuel line and return to accommodate these systems. ....Price???

Although the adaptor kit looks a good price REAR WHEEL DRIVE CONVERSION KIT Prices Alloy bell housing for Ford type9 £175.00 Bolt set for bell housing £24.00 Clutch cover £55.00 Clutch plate £45.00 Spigot bearing £10.00 Total £309.00

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

I haven't done thse kinds of engine swaps. My big thing was fitting a Fiat 126 engine into a Fiat 500 (quite easy to do).

Some ideas of rear-engined cars:

Air Cooled: Fiat 500/126 (oh, that is going down an engine size). Volkswagon Bug Volkswagon Bus Chevrolet Corvair

Water Cooled Fiats 600 & 850 Volkswagon Vanagon (newer) Pontiac Fiero

And, of course some of the Lotus and Ferarri cars.

I don't know if the Fiero made it to Europe, but I believe that it is a popular kit-car donar vehicle in the USA.

I would imagine that a transverse mounted front-wheel drive engine could be mounted in the rear of a car, but perhaps there would be size limitations and weight distribution problems as well as quite a hassle re-arranging the engine compartment.

----- Clifford -----

but perhaps there would be size limitations and weight distribution problems

That may be a problem,,, but look at the storage space you would have in the front........LOL

Maybe some one out there has done something similer......Putting the engine in the back sound like a good way to go,,and differant.. Or maybe making it front wheel drive.......

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

At the moment i do about 15000 per year.................I will work out the differance later in fuel consumption and cost differance......but the idear is to keep the car for as long as possible..and not change vehicles every 2 or 3 years

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

NR 17 26DIVISION ( snipped-for-privacy@HOME.NOSPAM) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Erm, why would you need both the injection gear *AND* the carb kit?

Reply to
Adrian

i wish mine would do that....Had the engine settings checked.....Usual things -carb-valves-timing-compression......Every thing seems fine and in good order But still only do around 26-28mpg The book states that it should do 30-34 mpg but that was in the days when cars pulled out slower at the lights so you did not have to hit the pedal so hard to keep up with the other traffic when in the town...

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

Yep very nice.i would love it but it will do alot less per gallon than mine...............fit a smaller carb perhaps :-)

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

But commone sense do`s not always work with me..............I would like to keep the herald :-)

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

ERRRR...just copied the details from the website......but no you would only need one or the other

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

I suppose this is out of your price range ? ;)

Tony Bond

Dam i will have to see the bank manager again... :-)

Is the cover on the passenger seat to hide the blood from the passenger?????

Reply to
NR 17 26DIVISION

Ouch!

Talking of Ebay, have a look at this GT6 V8:

says that the "rear end" had heavy duty internals fitted 22 years ago. I'd love to know what that involved. Or perhaps that 289 V8 and slushbox combination is all mouth and no trousers.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Tony Bond ( snipped-for-privacy@SPAMMENOTblueyonder.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

"You are bidding on the right for me to broker this vehicle to you" So - let me get this straight - that $250,000 opening bid doesn't get the car, it gets his assistance in getting you the car...?

(well, what's left of the car, anyway...)

Reply to
Adrian