110 Engine Swap - KISS for a newbie please

I have a 1990 Defender 110 CSW fitted with a 19J TD. In recent threads the 19J seems to be almost universally loathed, although to date, apart from less power than the Discovery 200TDi I used to have, I have no major complaints.

I have the possibility of a 200TDi engine plus ancillaries, gearbox and transfer box.

What else do I need, are any modifications needed etc. etc.?

For example the transfer box gear lever is to the side of the gear lever in the Disco, but is behind it in the 110. Are there any other "inconsistencies" I'm going to have to deal with?

...and Keep it Sweet & Simple (KISS) please, I'm still learning at this

- most of the cars I have played with before have a lot smaller engines!

I do have the space and the tools (just not much experience with LRs - yet!)

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

On or around Tue, 06 Dec 2005 19:53:45 GMT, puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

is the 200 TDi ex-disco or ex-110/90/defender? This makes a difference. The discos have a different exhaust manifold with the turbo in a differetn place and different gear levers as you say, and converting the gearbox is non-trivial.

Those are the 2 major problems. In addition, the disco may have different (higher) transfer box ratio which will raise your overall gearing - it's certainly higher than the 19J T-box ratio, but I think the defenders have a different ratio as well, even with a TDi.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I have been able to establish that it is from a 200TDi Defender 90.

So, is the axle gear ratios something I should check? Anything else that springs to mind?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

On or around Wed, 07 Dec 2005 22:12:31 GMT, puffernutter enlightened us thusly:

In that case it should be an easy fit. You might need the engine plates onto the chassis and/or the gearbox plates onto the chassis.

It's just possible that one or other set of mountings will need moving - I know putting a V8 into a 110 diesel chassis the engine mounts had to be moved. Not sure about swapping a 19J for a TDi; my diesel chassis would have been a non-turbo 2.5, probably; same block as the turbo-diesel.

I think the defender TDi transfer ratios are all the same - the axle ratios are all the same anyway, on all of 'em.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

...and puffernutter spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Wait for Dave Reynolds to reappear - he put a Disco 200Tdi in a TD90 a while back. Few problems and very good results, AIUI. He's around, but not posting for some reason.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

If the gearbox is out of a Defender, then it should be exactly the same as the one already in your vehicle.. So you don't need to swap the gearbox unless yours is broken. The TDi 200, if it is also out of a Defender should pretty much bolt straight into the space left by a 19J. You will need to change the radiator (TDi rad has a built in intercooler), exhaust downpipe, air cleaner, and rearrange the plumbing and electrics.

On the other hand, Land Rover seemed to have sorted out the block cracking problem on the 19J by 1990. The part number for the 19J block changed from engine number 19J27515C onwards, and I would guess there is a reason for that. Certainly I have seen quite a few 1989-90 TDs still going strong at 120,000 plus miles. If yours starts easily and doesn't use a lot of oil, it might last a lot longer than you think. It is worth fitting one of the breather mod kits that are available, to stop the air filter getting soaked in oil.

Richard

Reply to
glencoyne