Metro engine swap

I have a 1970 automatic Vanden Plas Princess 1300, so it has the 1275cc A-series engine as fitted in some Minis.. Does anyone know if the head from a 1990 MG Metro will fit or, alternatively, if the Metro engine is a straight swap for the original one?

Reply to
Simon Oates

Hello Simon:

If it is indeed correct that the 1275cc engine from a Mini will fit or is currently fitted then the MG Metro engine will also fit. You may have to change some minor stuff around, for example the clutch system. I am not familiar with your particular model but I am assuming that it is one of the fluffy Mini models such as Elfs.

I just finished doing similar to my 1967 Austin Mini Moke. I installed a 90s MG Metro into the Moke, needless to say he runs like a scalded Cat now.

See my website url'd below for more information and let me know if you have any other questions.

Reply to
OsiTech.Net

Reply to
nite fire

an engine swap would be similar to swapping a Metro engine into a Mini, which is discribed here:

changing from auto to manual makes it a bit more work as you need the pedals and shfit mechanism, also the auto subframe on mini's is slightly different from manuals (maybe also on your 1300 VdP?) and the Metro 1990 clutch will be cable operated, so you'll need to do some extra work there as well (also watch the verto non-vetro differences; may include the starter motor) also the metro was equipped with a front rad, so there some more changes to be made there.

there's one guy in Holland doing an automatic Metro > Mini swap

Dutch though ;-) ) good luck, Theo van den Bogaard

Reply to
t.a.j.m.vdnbogaard

In message , nite fire writes

The engine is different depending if it has an auto of a manual transmission underneath. The auto has a bigger oil pump and the oil is routed differently in the block, the oil pressure relief valve seat insert is different. The swap can be done. I think we used a plate with suitable hole positions under a "manual" oil pump, its about 30 years since we did it. The valve seat is threaded and can be pulled out and a "manual" one fitted.

Reply to
David Toft

The head from an A+ MG Metro won't fit onto a standard A series block as there is no bypass hose connection on an A+ head.

All A series engines fitted to the automatic gearboxes have subtle differences to the manual gearbox models, so you can't graft the MG engine onto your auto box as a straight swap.

Best options are to fit the complete MG engine & manual box into your Princess or get hold of a complete Metro engine and auto box assembly and fit that.

Hope this helps

Alan

Reply to
Alan

If that's the only issue, then all you have to do is also fit a water pump with the bypass blanked off and make sure you drill a few small holes around the circumference of the thermostat body.

Reply to
mwalsh

The waterpump I bought for my was dual fitting it had a rubber cap and clip to block of the bypass outlet maybe one of these can be sourced seperately saving the hassle of fitting a new pump.

Reply to
TurboJo

Why do you want to change the head?

Reply to
TurboJo

Quote:

"The head from an A+ MG Metro won't fit onto a standard A series block as there is no bypass hose connection on an A+ head."

see picture, it can be done very easily, A+ head on a cooper S block, 2x extra holes may need to be drilled if you have 11 studs, a bypass hose outlet can be fitted, or water pump outlet blocked, dead easy :-) modify thermostat as required

pic:

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s

I stand corrected on the A+ head issue!!

Bet you can't come up with such a simple conversion for fitting a manual engine to an auto box though!!!

Regards

Alan

Reply to
AT

No, it would be harder, I wouls be kind of inclined to make it into a manual, drop a whole metro unit, ( late one if poss with hardened valve seats, ) but then again you should be able to recondition the existing unit, & re use the cyl head after getting hardened valve seats fitted,

Steve.

Reply to
Steve68s