Vertical master cylinder a bad idea?

Purists look away now...

I'm just sorting the brakes on my split-screen Minor and have decided on a modification to get rid of the combined master cylinder and reservoir hidden in the chassis rail. It'll be fully reversible if anyone wants to convert back in the future. I intend to use a Landrover Series 3 master cylinder and reservoir. These are seperate and don't have a servo. The neatest solution would put the master cylinder in a vertical position with the actuating rod going in from below (ooer - missus). I don't see why this would make leaks any more likely, but it does feel a bit wrong. What do you think? Do any vehicles have their master cylinders positioned vertically?

I could fit it horizontally on the engine bay floor, but this would increase the chance or crud being drawn in to the cylinder and would involve a less tidy run for the rod and pivot from the pedal.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Metro uses a vertical master cylinder, they don't commonly go wrong, so a second-hand one would be fine, the metro was available in servo and non servo versions, both with disc brakes, both seem to work fine with no abnormal pedal pressure needed on the non servo type.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Great news. So there's nothing wrong with the theory then.

I already have one off a Landrover that's being broken by a friend. It's odd in that the same reservoir serves both the brake and clutch master cylinders, but useful in that it can be plumbed in from any position. I'll keep the Metro ones in mind though, in case it doesn't work. Thanks for that!

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

Minis, Austin A40s, to name but two from my stable. I think they use the same parts in both, so it would make a reasonably straightforward and sympathetic conversion in a Minor. I can scan and email you the workshop diagrams if you like.

My A40 passed its MOT on Saturday, the battery failed and was replaced on Sunday following which it won 2nd-best Mk11 at the A40 Farina Club AGM rally :-) Today the clutch started to slip :-(

Reply to
Chris Bolus

Thanks for the offer, but I'm pretty sure I can manage. I'll send a rod from the pedal forward along the chassis rail instead of back as it goes currently. This will pull rather than push, but a pivot and 90° change of direction will have it pushing upwards, IYSWIM. Seems I can buy a brand new Metro master cylinder (thanks again Mr Cheerful!) for a tenner, so I may as well forget the Landi one which would need new seals anyway.

Just had a look and it seems Mini ones are available for that price too. You're right, they do look more sympathetic with their metal reservoirs. Hmm... spoilt for choice.

Wow! Well done.

Every cloud...

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

AAH of course, the minor will be single circuit brakes as standard, so you will want the mini cylinder, or will you upgrade to dual circuit with the metro cylinder? Or do it really nicely by using two mini cylinders with an adjustable brake balance bar.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

The Minor setup has a single pipe leaving the master cylinder and then splitting to go fore and aft. I'd rather not do too much replumbing, but it would be simple enough for the seperate front and rear brakes to be put on seperate circuits. In fact either system would need about the same amount of work - little more than an extension to the pipe running to the rear.

Reply to
Willy Eckerslyke

In that case I would go for the metro dual circuit, as at least you have some brakes when a cylinder blows out. This is the sort of case where authenticity can be lost for the sake of safety. Metro I just checked has two outlets, IIRC some have three or even four.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful