What does SU stand for?

I've had various suggestions, some believable, some less so. Side Updraft? Skinners Union? The definitive answer, anyone?

Reply to
News

News ( snipped-for-privacy@nospam.demon.co.uk) gurgled happily, sounding much like they were saying :

Skinner's Union sounds familiar.

Ah, here y'go.

Adrian

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember News saying something like:

Definitely Skinners Union. Where and how, I know not.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Skinner's Union. They were leather curers and the originals had bellows made of leather.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The family business was in selling shoes, they didn't make them. Their name just happened to be Skinner.

Although the early models did use a leather bellows, which were in fact made up by Skinner's wife.

Reply to
dingbat

I'll try and find the reference, but IIRC the original trade of Skinner's Union was leather curing. Of course by the time the carbs came along it could have diversified.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The Skinners in question eventually became the partner in the shoe shop chain Lilley and Skinner

Del

Reply to
Derek Heath

In message , Derek Heath writes

Thanks to everyone who commented. My education is complete :-)

You may like this link, to a North American Volvo club :

(Scroll down to History).

Reply to
News