What does the "SR" mean?

I just noticed on my Registration Certificate (UK) that my car is described as a Volvo 740 GL SR. What does the SR bit signify? I ask because I just got a nice letter from the Fife Constabulary telling me I got caught doing 80mph in a 70 mph zone. (bugger!) and on their form it said SR, so I looked out my Registration Form. I've never heard of this "SR" before. Anyone know? PS what is the fine for a first speeding offence? I'm really hacked off because it's the first time I've ever been caught out in cars or bikes GRRRRR!!!!, and my kids think it's really funny that I got caught, bugger them. I hate these mobile, out of the back of a van speed trap things. Can they really park illegally and take readings? This one was parked on the verge of a dual carriageway on the grass at the side of the road, just after a laybye. Damned sure if I parked where he was I'd get charged with illegal parking. Ah Well !!!!!

Reply to
Stuart Gray

Would your car happen to have a sunroof?

Reply to
RWD

Nope, no sunroof.

Reply to
Stuart Gray

3 points, £60 fine... and i believe you're meant to tell your insurance company too. The fine's not really the problem - it's the insurance!

Interesting question - they don't have their flashing lights on, I'm not sure whether it's legal or not... would be interesting to know (not that I'm going to be the one to tell them!!).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

SR???????

Is it Stolen Recovered?

About mentioning points to insurance. Yes do, but it will make little to no difference to your premium. If you however have an accident and have NOT declared them, void your insurance. Making you responsible for paying for damages to ALL parties involved. On top of that you are also breaking the law, as you would be driving your vehicle with NO insurance.

Rumours have been circulating that if you do not sign the form, sent by the nice Contabulary/Council. You are in fact not admitting to driving the vehicle at time of conviction and therefore not liable to the fines and points, because they cannot prove your guilt.

By the way people actually got away scot free from prosecution by NOT signing the form.

Thing is, do you want to battle it with the courts or just admit guilt?

3 points is the norm for just 10mph over the limit, however if you were over 100mph it would be an instant ban. Unless you are good at grovelling to the courts. Even then it would be a hefty fine!

Reply to
Artful Dodger

Doesn't seem to be the case with me - my quotes with many companies are around £100 higher when I add on 3 points... that's a considerable difference. However being under 25 means my premium's a lot anyway!

Under UK law, you're required to tell the police who's driving the car if asked. Interestingly enough, if the UK joins the EU, under European law we wouldn't be required to tell the police who was driving at the time (invasion of privacy laws are a little different).

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

Because there's more to the internet than hits alone, Mark Seeley wrote: [..]

This sounds like an urban myth to me. I'm pretty sure that if you do not name a driver, you the owner are deemed to be responsible. Something like that.

As the UK joined the EU over 30 years ago, I'd say this is doubtful information, too.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

Ok, I obviously got something a little wrong there! If you know anyone who watches Top Gear (I think the ep aired in the UK on Sunday 23rd - ie yesterday) they explained the details of it... I don't have a copy unfortunately. Would be interested if anyone remembers though.

Mark

Reply to
Mark Seeley

: Under UK law, you're required to tell the police who's driving the car if : asked. Interestingly enough, if the UK joins the EU, under European law we : wouldn't be required to tell the police who was driving at the time : (invasion of privacy laws are a little different). : : Mark : And in fact you get a £100 fine AND three points for not complying with the law which says you MUST give requested information truthfully.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

It's prolly something to do with the Social Chapter - the bit of the Maastricht Treaty that Thatcher got an exemption from (before trying to weedle out of ratifying the whole thing altogether), only for Blair to later sign up for it. However, since then, the government's implimentation of it has been a little less than enthusiastic.

I still reckon the basis of the theory is an urban myth, but it'll probably buy a few lawyers some expensive cars in finding out.

Reply to
Stewart Hargrav

On Tue, 25 Nov 2003 00:49:49 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Milnes" wibbled about:

But the law does not require you to sign. So you can give the information without signing.

There is a case going in front of the High Court - probably febuary to determine this...

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

In my local paper there are details of a chap who was fined £150 plus £35 expenses and awarded three points on his licence for this same offence.

Cheers, Peter.

Reply to
Peter Milnes

On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 01:57:46 +0000 (UTC), "Peter Milnes" wibbled about:

The magistrates have something like a 96% conviction rate because they will normally side with the CPS if something is unclear. However there is nothing in law to say that you must sign. The DPP vs Broomfield case that they quote as case law is garbage and in fact not relavent but the Mags still convict. Wait till Feb when the law will be clarified.

Sean

Reply to
Sean Nugent

Got the following email from the DVLA. Now off to search the web for the meaning. Being a Volvo 740 estate automatic, I doubt the S stands for sports !! LOL

Thank you for your e-mail.

The Volvo company manufactures many different variants of the Volvo 740. Two of these variants are the "Volvo 740 GL" and the "Volvo 740 GL S/R".

A Volvo dealer would be able to describe the difference between the two variants, and exactly which one your vehicle is. Alternatively, many car books and magazines would contain this information.

The "SR" is not generated by DVLA, and certainly does not mean "Stolen/Recovered".

I hope this is helpful.

Regards

Customer Enquiries Vehicles

Reply to