How to access Newsgroups if you are a Tiscali customer

If you create an additional account using 128.230.129.223 as a server you can access the newsgroups in read only mode - at least you know what the rest of the group are up to!

THEN you can post your response via your Tiscali news server. The downside is that the reply will not attach itself to the thread, but it will start a new thread with

Re: whatever the original thread was

Not perfect, but it's a deal better than nothing Hope this helps.

Please pass this information to other newsgroups who also have problems

Reply to
Classic Car Man

Thank you for this - Very useful. Much appreciated, although its a shame it doesn't carry all my newsgroups.

However, you can't post via tiscali, as it can only be seen by tiscali users... [?]

Reply to
umop ap!sdn

fwiw: news.readfreenews.net carries more newsgroups - again read-only

Reply to
umop ap!sdn

Classic Car Man laid this down on his screen :

You might also try 202.177.16.121

I am not seeing my posting appear on any but the Tiscali server.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

The advice is appreciated, but it's not the point. Tiscali are charging all their customers for a service which they aren't providing, nor apparently even trying to provide. It is a Tiscali problem, and Tiscali should fix it quickly.

Reply to
Duncan Heenan

|If you create an additional account using 128.230.129.223 as a server |you can access the newsgroups in read only mode - at least you know |what the rest of the group are up to! | |THEN you can post your response via your Tiscali news server. The downside |is that the reply will not attach itself to the thread, but it will start a |new thread with | | Re: whatever the original thread was | |Not perfect, but it's a deal better than nothing |Hope this helps. | |Please pass this information to other newsgroups who also have problems

There are regular complaints about individual ISPs newservers. Not sure about Tiscali problems but I use news.individual.net (Berlin Free University) for text newsgroups only. At 10 euro per year it is IMO the best of the bunch, and works *very* well.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

The other solution is to use a non-ISP related news server - news.individual.net is used by many , is very good and only costs 10 Euros a YEAR!

Reply to
Gordon

try setting up the news group for news.tesco.net works for me and im not on there connection.

Reply to
bongo rule

Tesco net is run by NTL (and so is Virgin) If you are a customer of any of these you can run the others - but it is of little advantage.

Reply to
RustY©

thanks m8 that explains it :)

Reply to
bongo rule

Have you ever tried fb1.euro.net as your news reader?

It might help yuo a lot.

Reply to
Simon NL

Try news.giganews.com or corp.supernews.com as a great many ISPs peer off those and as long as your IP address is in a recognised range, they'll let you have full access.

Alternatively, Claranews and Individual offer good non binary subscription packages.

Reply to
Conor

502 access denied
Reply to
D. Kirkpatrick

have sent this to the CEO today. Think it speaks for itself

Roger C

e-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tiscali.co.uk13

13th September 2006

Mary Turner

CEO Tiscali UK

Dear Mary

Thought I would follow up my earlier complaints about Tiscali's news server being down for more than two weeks with a quick summary of events since the

2/09/06.

A colleague of yours [and here I beg forgiveness as I have forgotten his name - I think it was Quinn] phoned me on Friday 8th September and gave me an update, promising to call back on Monday 11/09/06. This he duly did and the upshot of his call was that he informed me that Tiscali were no longer supporting news groups. I expressed my grave disappointment that a service Tiscali had been providing since I subscribed to your Broadband service had been so peremptorily terminated with no notification to your customers. More evidence of the appalling customer service Tiscali have been offering since the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Indeed for two weeks the technical help teams appeared to initially ignore the problem, and then stated that engineers were looking into it. Yet I was being told that Tiscali were no longer providing the service.

I am amazed that no one in Tiscali told the technical staff, who in the nature of the PBI everywhere, were taking all the flak from irate customers - myself included. Indeed such a major step affecting many customers could quite easily have been posted on the web site and on the on-line FAQ and technical support pages but wasn't. Yet more evidence of the appalling service Tiscali have been offering since the August Bank Holiday weekend.

Imagine my surprise on Tuesday evening, when purely for nostalgia's sake, I tried my newsgroups via the Tiscali news server and received posts just like the good old days of mid-August. If Tiscali are going to withdraw a service they should do it more often - it seems to cure problems quicker than the technical help teams - or was it another example of shoddy customer service, where there was little or no research as to the current status of the problem before the telephone call to me on Monday morning. Yet more evidence of the appalling service Tiscali have been offering since the August Bank Holiday weekend.

My phone call on Monday ended more in sorrow than anger, and a fairly amicable agreement was reached. However Tiscali's credibility took a massive blow on Tuesday when I found the news server was back up and running.

From e-mails with other customers I know that some have purchased subscriptions to news reader services because of Tiscali's problems. These individuals have suffered financially as well as two weeks inconvenience we have all suffered

.

Yours faithfully

Roger Curtis

cc uk.rec.walking; uk.rec.motorcaravans; uk.railway;

24hoursupport.helpdesk
Reply to
Roger

Why to you think this, I use GG at work because I have no other news feed, but I also now use it at home, he only problem I have with it is lack of a killfile function, apart from that I can find no problems with it, what don't you like? Obviously it's no use for binary groups, but for the groups I'm intersted in, the archiving is invaluable.

Reply to
Geo

| |Dave Fawthrop wrote: | |> Dave Fawthrop Google Groups is IME the *worst* |> method of accessing usenet. GG subscribers would be well advised get a |> newsreader, say Agent, and a newsserver, say news.individual.net. These |> will allow them: to see only *new* posts, a killfile, and other goodies. | |Why to you think this, I use GG at work because I have no other news |feed, but I also now use it at home, he only problem I have with it is |lack of a killfile function, apart from that I can find no problems |with it, what don't you like? Obviously it's no use for binary groups, |but for the groups I'm intersted in, the archiving is invaluable.

Agreed the archiving is invaluable. But I want to see only things which I have not already seen. A newsserver with newsreader is so much easier to use.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

In article , Geo writes

That's reasonable.

Your next sentence suggests that there is no spell-checking :-(

But isn't the archiving only available when you are on-line?

Archiving on a local machine would even defeat the apparent x-no-archive expiry that I have heard Google have implemented.

Composing off-line also gives the opportunity to (re-)edit before submitting to the news-server(s).

Bottom line for me is that on all but the most ancient or badly maintained kit, off-line working is bound to be much faster than on-line IME.

Reply to
vg4cysss7001